Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: SHig's Superlight Packin'tube Project

Hmm... Been awfully quiet around here. I did have one testing session since the last trout trip - hit some private warmwater. I'm generally not a warmwater fan, but the LMB, 'gills, and crappie were cooperative and I had a good time. I WAS a bit spooked by the rays on those fishes' fins though. Guess I should've brought a net?

Anyway, the other day I came home from work and, hmm...

And what's this?

...and what are these?

Now this is looking interesting...

Oh MY!

Heh... Sorry folks, they're all spoken for.

Been a busy few days, trying to batch operations to make it as efficient as possible. Streamlining a lot of stuff, still learning.

I'll definitely be fishing this weekend, but funny enough it'll be creekin'. No need for a tube for where I'm going - but the next trip may entail a maiden voyage or two.

_SHig

----Thumbs up----

You tease!
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

Hey! It looks like the encounter with the two tubes on your trip with ScottV was successful and they did indeed reproduce. A pretty short gestation period for such large creatures! Congrats!
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Big day today!

"Production" tube #1 completed!

Final weight?

25.4 ounces!!

I've updated the spread strap design to be cleaner and more integrated, and I've added a couple of grab handles to carry the thing.

And to celebrate I built my own "Ferrari" of tubes:

Unfortunately it is actually 1.4 ounces HEAVIER that the blue one! Oh well, what price cool unmistakable one-of-a-kind uniqueness? Maybe I'll start drilling "lightening holes"?

I was going to try to maybe take it out on its maiden voyage tomorrow, but with the smoke from the fires blowing up the range, I think I'll stay home and work on finishing up the rest of the run I have going and maybe get some work done on some fins as well.

I'll probably try to get out again on Labor Day, perhaps...

_SHig

Nice accessories and changes SHig. And congrats on your Ferrari. I'm glad you found it.

Funny how things come full circle sometimes. Literally.

A few days ago Bill posted a link to a search engine that allowed you to do a wide search of all classified sites including Craigslist and ebay.

Well, on a whim, I typed in "float tube" and guess what popped up!?

WHAT!? New with tags Del Canty Lunker Hunter - and for a RIDICULOUS price. After contacting the seller, and finding out they still had it, we worked out shipping and...

WOOOHOOOO!!! Full circle indeed, like the iconic donut float tube.

I still can't believe my luck. Sure, I may be specially appreciative of this particular boat, but to find one manufactured in 1986 that had never been in the water is simply unbelievable. No, it didn't come with his hand-stitched, polyvinyl hat (oh wait, that's for the Woody doll) - er, inflator bag, but still...

Though I was hoping for it to be an "old" one, this one turns out to be made only 43 after my original DCLH - and serialized on the same day, March 6 of 1986. Crazy...

So, I had to know...

A full 20 ounces heavier than the tubes in the first customer run of my tubes, but still damn light relative to anything else out there. Considering it uses a much heavier fabric and some pretty burly gluing and stitching in it's manufacture, it's not too bad really.

Here are some photos of the "manual" in case anyone wanted to know:

I'm sure I'll NEVER get this puppy wet, so though I feel a little silly buying it, I feel happy knowing that I own it. It's a piece of history, and a big inspiration to what I've managed to create myself.

Funny, I JUST finished my latest personal tube the other day and had it out on the lake on rainy Labor Day. Yes, it's that color as an homage to the original!

Now to find some clear wall real estate and some way to hang it...

_SHig
    Last edited by SHigSpeed; 09-10-2013 at 10:06 PM.

So, here's the next chapter in the UL backcountry float tubing adventure...

Waders!

Yes, I'm a pansy - I know that sitting out of the water, and especially later in the season, one doesn't HAVE to have waders, but I'd rather have them if at all possible.

My Frogg Togg Canyon basic waders weigh 29 ounces and roll up somewhat small due to the no-frills nature of the pair. This is the weight without the belt. Simple mesh inside pocket, no reinforcements at the knee, no extra zippers or fancy suspenders. Still, they weigh more than my tube - unacceptable!

I have been packing them until now, and I had a back burner project to make some nylon waders using the same materials and techniques as used in the tube, but I remembered that I had some Cabelas pants waders in the garage.

So, out of the box, these weighed 28.2 ounces - without belt! That said, it did have double layer knees with neoprene knee pads. The neoprene booties do come up pretty high as well. Did have?

So in the pursuit of adding max "lightness", I cut off the gravel gaiters and the top layer of fabric and padding at the knees:

This shaved off 5.5 ounces! Down to 22.7 ounces now. Not bad!

That said, I finally got off my ass and welded up a pair of high pants and sock out of the tube material and lo and behold - 11.3 ounces for the pants/socks. They are pretty roomy up top so there's an opportunity to shave some weight there. Also, they are full chest high, so I could probably lose an 8" swath across the top. The cut off neoprene stocking feet that I will wear over these to protect the feet weigh another 8.6 ounces, however they're full "hi-top" for now and cuffed down so if I can cut off 4" of ankle, I'm guessing I could lose at least a couple ounces there. Looks like a pound even is doable.

Best part? The pants roll up small enough to fit into the foot pocket of one of the booties! And I could probably even slide this into the second bootie. Holy compression Batman!

Now the downside of these is that they don't breathe. I've looked in the retail market for a heat sealable waterproof breathable material but haven't yet found one. Not sure if the Sonic Seam Orvis/Redington waders use this sort of fabric or not. I'm guessing that it's probably a bit heavier than the stuff I'm using for the boats, but I'd trade off a few ounces for breathability. I think, though, with long pants and socks it won't get too bad, especially since I won't be working up a sweat or anything in them.

I don't have plans to make these as I'm busy enough with the boats and there are decent alternatives out there, but I thought I'd share to show y'all what's possible.

Oh, BTW, new "boat package" weight:

Tube 26 oz
    Fins 10 oz
    Waders 16 oz
    ------------
    52 ounces / 3 lbs, 4 oz

I think 3 lbs would be tough to hit, but not entirely impossible.

_SHig
    Last edited by SHigSpeed; 09-13-2013 at 01:20 PM.

More work on the boat package today, mostly optimizing the waders and booties.

Bootlegs before:

Cut off cuffs:

Booties now down to 6.1 ounces.

Now waders. They were 11.3 ounces before, then I cut off the top 8" or so, rolled the hem, and added a clip/cinch/belt:

New total weight waders and booties? (note the waders are rolled up and inside the nested booties)

16.4 ounces - damn. I really wanted to get down to a pound. Oh well.

At any rate, full boat kit as it sits?

50.6 ounces. Three pounds, 2.6 ounces. Not much left to trim. There may be another ounce or so in the waders if I trim the waist down further and maybe slim down the cut, another ounce maybe in the booties. Finally, I can make a "Smart Tube" compact version of the boat to shave another 2-3 ounces. Three pounds is achievable, but it's really just a number at this point. The whole kit is lighter than my tent now. I guess this means I need a new tent.

I have a trip planned in a couple of weeks to 10,500', can't wait.

_SHig

I think you got your next project. An ultra light backpacking tent.