Thread: Belize Report

Default Belize Report

Just a few pics to get you excited before I find time to post a report.

Four locals named Bonefish, Tarpon, Permit and Snook

Thumbs up Belieeeezzzzzze....

Can't wait for the report. Also, can't help noticing that you're napping in several lof the photo's. My kind of fishing....

All of those fish are beautiful but I'm really hung up on going somewhere to catch Permit. I gotta look into Belize....

You had a great trip. Thanks for the pics.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Great pictures! That sunset is spectacular. You fellas seemed to have honed the art of fly fishing while sleeping. I've got to learn how to do that.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Just a couple of quick comments re:

1. Sleeping- We get pcked up on the beach in front of the hotel at 5:00 am and sometimes we don't get back until after 6 pm. After 10 days, we are just looking for an opportunity to get 15 minutes of rest. So when one guy is up for permit, the other guy takes a nap. I guess I was napping for 30 minutes during some of the most explosive tarpon busting bait action our guys witnessed and I did not wake up until l was telling me to get the camera for a picture. Another great nap time is when it is raining so hard you can't see the back of the boat from the front.

2. Permit- The southern part of Belize offers the best permit fishing anywhere. I am not a bit permit fan because the little buggers are so finicky. However, I have caught 2 now and it is pretty exciting. On this trip, I saw one, made about 4 casts and then spooked the fish. He came back and I got him on the next cast. The next 2 days I had multiple shots at over 20 fish includiing groups of 6 or 5 and no hookups. They would charge the fly, take a look, and then scream f*** you as they swam away. The group had shots at maybe 200 or 250 permit and we hooked about 6. We normally say 'I can't believe that fish did not eat." Now we say "I can't believe he actually ate." Almost all of our permit fishing is wading on the flats when fish are sighted and shots are from 15 to 50 feet at tailing feeding fish, except in a big lagoon we fish from the boat. Check out some posts by Lee Haskin and me on blanton for more pics and info. The guides we fish with are excellent and they mostly focus on permit. It must be frustrating when they say make the cast now and we can't see the fish 20 feet away unless they are waving at us. Clients for the main guide we fish with- Bruce Leslie- have caught over 700 permit.

Default Phil nice trip

Aloha Phil, looks like another great trip to belize. So you had a little trouble fishing for permit. If they were easy then it wouldn't be the same. Glad you took Lee down there. On day you have to take me with you. Keep warm this winter, Don.
    Don Memmer