Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New TFO BVK fly rods @ Kiene's Fly Shop

JW
    TFO is not known for producing 9 1/2ft rods. In all of their series of rods:BVK, Clouser, Axiom, Finesse, Signature, Professional, TiCr, TiCr X, and Teeny (I would guess over 70 rods), there is only one 9 1/2ft rod. That would be the 9.5 5wt. in the Professional series. They do have a few 10ft rods, so you may have a chance there. The next time I see our rep., I'll ask him for you.
    Terry

T -

Actually, I think that they are going to produce a 9'6" 6wt and 7wt in the BVK. The Professional Series has a 9'6" 5wt, and then 5wt-8wt in 10'.
    I have the 10' 6wt on the drift boat. They are very good rods.
    Lincoln Gray
    LG'S Fly Fishing Adventures
    530-520-6895
    http://lgflyfishingadventures.com

I purchased a BVK 9', 4pc, 5wt at the ISE Show last week. They had a test area set up outside where you could try out different rods. All I can say is this rod is outstanding in every way. They have a real winner there. There was a wind blowing head on while I was test casting it and it punched through beautifully. The best part was getting it for $224! Sage, Loomis, and others are gonna be crying the blues I talked to the Rio line boys and after much discussion and testing, found the Avid line the best casting for the BVK

Default Bvk 7#

I really liked casting the BVK 7#! As mentioned, super light, very nicely finished, and worthy o a higher price tag. Just like my Beavertail skiff! If you look at the TFO website, you will notice that they are light weight and accurate, but don't have as much lifting power as their other series of rods. Myself and a local guide kind of got into a "pissing" contest at the test pond the other day. We were both picking up 60' of line off the water with ease, and with one false cast, able to fire off some pretty long and accurate casts! Well worth the money for many types of fishing, IMO! Brett
    Brett Humphries
    http://www.hillcountryflyfishing.com
    512-47zero-6886

Default TFO rods

You got to dance with the one you bring to the party.

If any of you get by a fly shop that is a TFO dealer try to pick up and feel a new BVK.

They are a fast action and are very light plus have good cosmetics.

I did hear they planning on a 9'6" and 10' models in #4 and #7 in 4 piece later this fall..
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by coolrivertx View Post
    I really liked casting the BVK 7#! As mentioned, super light, very nicely finished, and worthy o a higher price tag. Just like my Beavertail skiff! If you look at the TFO website, you will notice that they are light weight and accurate, but don't have as much lifting power as their other series of rods. Myself and a local guide kind of got into a "pissing" contest at the test pond the other day. We were both picking up 60' of line off the water with ease, and with one false cast, able to fire off some pretty long and accurate casts! Well worth the money for many types of fishing, IMO! Brett
    They are great rods - although the site does indicate they are not meant for lifting I think they are being a bit conservative. The 10 wt received a lot of prototype time with Rob Fordyce who caught a ton of big tarpon in the triple digit range and during development managed to break only a couple of sticks while intentionally red lining the rods. I'll be taking the production 10 wt to take down for my annual Islamorada tarpon trip in May to see if I can break it or not. I've also heard from the TFO folks that the rods are a lot tougher than you think...

Had a chance to fish my buddy's 8' 3wt for about an hour and it was a sweetheart. He has a Lamson Velocity (1 up from Konic, right?) on it and the balance was very nice with the light reel. I overline my 3's, but would not overline the BVK, myself...at 2.4 oz if you'd like a 3 that feels like a 2/3, I think this is the rod.

-Mike

Some smaller sizes including 3 and 4 weight bvk's just arrived in the shop.

is there a big difference between the bvk vs. the clouser rod in casting and lifting?