Thread: Surfperch

Default Surfperch

I was wondering if any of you have any information on fly fishing for surf perch on the northcoast around arcata/eureka?

Thanks

Default Surfperch

It's been a while but I used to cast shrimp patterns in sizes 6 and 8 on an 8 wt rod. Those fish are a kick-in-the-pants. Gold Bluff beach (Prairie Creek State Park up by Orick) would be a good place to start.

In the mid-70's (before my fly fishing days), we used to get crab backs (it's the snot-like membrane inside uncooked Dungeness crab bodies) for bait and fish off the railroad trestle that crosses Eureka Slough behind the Target store. The cooling water outfall at the PG&E nuc plant in King Salmon was another favorite.

A good recipe was to steam them whole, Chinese-style.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by goinfishern View Post
    I was wondering if any of you have any information on fly fishing for surf perch on the northcoast around arcata/eureka?

Thanks

I have done really well on the Mad River beach too. Once you get on the beach fish north towards the river. The critters can be anywhere along there. A guy can have some 30+ days on that beach. As mentioned Gold Beach is good, but be careful wading the changing tides. I once was nearly stranded on high sand with nothing but troughs around me. Scared the heck out of me. I am very hesitant to cross troughs to this day.

Default perch

Check with the guys at the Eureka Fly Shop.
    Our San Diego perch seem to prefer a size 6 fly with orange and/or red in it. We
    often use a dropper fly, as well.
    Larry S

Default surf

Glad to see that

http://www.zenflyfishing.com/

is still an active site. This is a great primer for the surf. Glenn Y reveals all.

Larry S

Thumbs up Zen Fly Fishing....

Good info/Read. However, the owner/webmaster hasn't kept it current for several years. As I understand it, Glen is taking some time off.

One great item on there is access to a photographic record of sections of the California Coastline. Cool stuff.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Thanks

Thanks guys this will really help me out! When is the best time of day/tides to fish? Im hoping to get some fishing time in within the next few days

Default Surfperch

Quote Originally Posted by goinfishern View Post
    Thanks guys this will really help me out! When is the best time of day/tides to fish? Im hoping to get some fishing time in within the next few days
    Usually spring months on an incoming tide.

Winter brings in the bigger spawning males showing black charcoal color near the bottom of the fish.
    Can be good fishing down here, I assume up there as well.
    Spring brings in the pregnant females which bear live young.

Best times are usually grey light or overcast conditions during the day.
    Helps to scout beaches at a low tide to look for structure that will concentrate fish.
    Troughs, buckets, rips, etc.
    Structure moves with the surf so things change weekly if not daily.
    Fishing inlets and outlets can be really productive.

Perch school so keep moving until you start finding fish.
    No point in hunkering on a spot if you aren't getting tapped.

Good luck out there.
    They are a fun fish and not very picky on fly type or presentation.
    -Paul

Well "G",
    You don't alude as to your level of "expertise".
    All good info here.
    When Susan and I visit her Mom in Eureka, we sometimes target the perch on the beach ocean side north of the harbor and behind the chip mill. A couple good bugs for us has been a simple wooly bugger done brown/motor oil cactus chenille with a #10 surfcandie type bug in tandem. We generally use the rear of a type VI WFS full line. The main challenge seeming to be to stay in contact with your bugs, NOT necessarilly WHICH bugs.
    Drop us a PM and maybe we can drag your posterior waterward on one of our trips.
    .....lee s.