Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fisherman/boat access below Hwy 20 bridge (Yuba)

Lightbulb Fisherman/boat access below Hwy 20 bridge (Yuba)

I currently attend the Lower Yuba River Fisheries Technical Working Group meetings, on behalf of Granite Bay Flycasters and Northern CA Council Federation of Flyfishers, that are being held periodically which are focused on planning the rehabilitation of 4 mi of river below the hwy 20 bridge. Presently, although concerns have been voiced to the group in previous meetings by a few clubs and guides, there are no guarantees that we will continue to have that access when all is said and done. And, the same three organizations are working together on this project: Western Aggregates, SYRCL, and YOA [although, YOA has yet to attend any of the public forum mtgs I've been to ].

Now, mind you, this will take several years to truly take effect. However - the time is now, if we want to ensure future access. I am going to 'head' a group to work on securing access for fisherman and their drift boats where they are currently launching off Hammonton Road. I cannot do this alone.

If you want to have a voice in the outcome and are willing to put in some time and get your hands dirty, PM me your e-mail address and other contact information. I will begin a distribution list so organization can begin.

I will act as a liaison between fisherman and the LYRFTWG.
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Thumbs up

Well - so far I've got 3 volunteers....

By the way - meetings will most likely be held during evening hours, as I, too, work during the day.
    - Robin

THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! Thanks Robin. This won't work unless ALL the shops, guides and private drift boat users put their collective heads (and a few coins) into the pot. I would suggest the first order of business be to hire an attorney to look at all the easement and property boundary questions that are floating around. Most legal "opinions" have been coming from a retired UPS driver and hundreds, perhaps thousands of hours have been wasted separating conspiracy theories from the facts. Stop chasing rumors, hire a REAL lawyer, start from a foundation of legal certainty, and go from there.

Default Rehab?

What type of rehab is taking place? Streambed? Riparian vegetation (trees)? Reclamation?

Cool

Here are some links to get you started...

FAQ:
    http://yubariver.org/yuba-rehabilitation-faqs

Rehabilitation Concepts Report - released 11/15/2010:
    http://yubariver.org/wp-content/uplo...n_Concepts.pdf
    - Robin

Default Program to Start Saturday ?

Robin,

In this morning's Appeal / Democrat (11/18/10) there is an article stating that the Army Corps of Engineers will begin salmon restoration this Saturday. The plan as stated is to pour 5,000 tons of gravel below Englebright Dam over the next six weeks to create channels and back channels for the benefit of both steelhead and salmon. It said that gravel will actually be deposited in the river by pipes. Gravel delivery to Corps property will actually begin Thursday ( TODAY ?).

Sean Warren Smith Inc. received a $343,840.00 grant in September to do the habitat restoration.

That's all the article had to say. I'm sure if you needed more info about what is going on up there the Appeal/Democrat could give you some more details.
    TONY
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Yes - the gravel augmentation project will begin this Saturday and take the better part of the next 6 weeks. Doug Grothe of the Army Corps actually gave us that update himself at the meeting I attended yesterday. It was also in the Sacramento Bee as well. They are starting with 5,000 tons, but may need as much as 15,000, depending on the distribution results. This is above Deer Creek to Englebright Dam, upriver from the proposed conservation easement, but part of the Habitat Expansion Agreement with PG&E. They are obligated to provide habitat expansion to support the spawning of 2,000-3,000 fish.

Thanks for the heads up!
    - Robin

Here is a link to a paper on re-establishing chinook spawning habitat directly below Englebright by removing shot-rock and then injecting gravel:

http://www.escholarship.org/uc/item/...lay=all#page-1

The same article in a format that's a little easier to read on line:

http://ucanr.org/repository/cao/land...9&fulltext=yes

PDF that describes the 500-ton experiment and results:

http://www.yubaaccordrmt.com/Studies...0Injection.pdf

Does anyone know if any shot-rock was removed before the gravel injection? This paper suggests that's a key part of the process...
    Last edited by royewest; 11-21-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by royewest View Post
    Does anyone know if any shot-rock was removed before the gravel injection? This paper suggests that's a key part of the process...
    I sure can't find anything that describes any shot rock removal prior to the gravel injection they're planning. That just doesn't make any sense. If/when that gravel ever gets flushed downstream again [during severe high-flow conditions, like in 2006], they'll still have the shot rock preventing spawning grounds again?

Although, Pasternack's report states "Specifically, the massive amount of undesirable shot rock debris located there (~170,000 yds3) should be removed off site and replaced with ~100,000 yds3of suitable rounded river gravel, to be placed by rational design using the Spawning HabitatIntegrated Rehabilitation Approach of Wheaton et al"

But, I can't see where anything says they will really do that.

Last edited by Mrs.Finsallaround; 11-21-2010 at 09:25 AM.
    - Robin

Thumbs down what does this do?

I don't get why they would dump gravel in this river? Have they ever been there? The Yuba is full of perfect size spawning gravel for salmon. At some point leaving this poor river alone is probably the best thing we could do for the salmon. Fished the Yuba on friday down by hammond grove. Reds everywhere! few salmon. probably already done their thing. This gravel idea doesn't make any sense!

thekid

what kind of gravel do they use?