Thread: Sfa 11-13-10

Default Sfa 11-13-10

Rowe and I hit the SFA today down river from Ice House turn off. On the way up we pulled off Hwy 50 to grab some coffee in Placerville, and right when we hit the main drag there was a Fly Shop. Never been there before and timing was perfect. We needed some gunk and other items I forgot. The young gent who helped us was great. He showed us other places to go and provided us some locally tied flies.
    We hit the river about 3:00ish and fished till 5:00.
    I could see the river has risen with the last rain, all the grass was down and turned from green to brown. I started off with a Dry Local fly with a Black Midge dropper and got a hit when the Dry was under water a few feet. That produced the biggest Bow YTD on the SFA. My thinking was: The fish hit the dry under water, so I switched to Nymphing a Hair’s ear with the small bead head black midge as a dropper. No hits for the rest of the outing. I could see the fish checking out the flies, but they never took. I switched different nymphs several times but they never took.
    The strange part was the size of fish. They were much bigger than previous outings, although not as many. In the past I would land a dozen or more fish, but not this time.
    The SFA is so close and looks like such a sweet river. I know there are lots of fish there, just need to get it dialed in.

Frank

Nice fish for that river! Great pic's too, wish I was closer to the SF.

Dan