Thread: No Bull, big Bull!

Default No Bull, big Bull!

Got this big bull mahi on thursday. It was too rough to fly fish but got it on the TFO heavy teaser rod and a pink Rainy's popper. Plenty of blackened mahi tonight! Mems.
    Don Memmer

Thumbs up Mahi....

WOW!!!! Great fish and a big smile to go along with it. Blackened Mahi, salad, a few brews.... MMM, MMM!!! Doesn't get much better than that. I'm envious.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Mahalo

Thanks Darian, I got three more that day, but this was the largest mahi I have gotten in a while. If things keep up it cold be a great winter of mahi fishing. And Darian thanks for always making a positive comment on my pictures. I hope other guys like the pics. I always bring my fly rod, but when the conditions are not right, it is difficult to use the fly rod. The water here is a little rougher than baja. I do think the heavy teaser rod is a great travel conventional rod. Take care, Don.
    Don Memmer

Hey Mems

Great looking dodo. Was that the new TFO teaser rod that you used? I can't wait until April to get back into the fish. Winter is on the way and the dorado season here in Fresno has shut down. Not much fishing going on just a lot of time behind the camera. We just wrapped up shooting three fly tying video's with two more to shoot. I hope to have the tying video of the white knight sea habit, working with deer hair and tying deer hair poppers, the ALF pattern before Christmas and the Super hair bait fish (tuna tux patterns) and the hula girl popper before the starting of the show season.

do you ever make poke?

Jay

Default TFO heavy teaser

Hey Jay, yup that is the heavy teaser. I put a small avet sx reel on it and love that combo. You can troll bait or cast bait or a jig. I had a Rainy's 5/0 pink popper on it. You should make a pink popper with a tail on it that looks like the pelagic shrimp. That is what the ahi think it is here.
    I make a pretty wicked poke with avocado and crushed macnuts and sesame oil and chili oil for kick. I mostly make it with ahi though. We had coconut panko mahi tonight with lilikoi (passionfruit) butter melted on it. It was like having desert for the main course.
    Post your videos on your site when you get a chance. Winter is rough here, but the mahi like that kind of water. Keep in touch, Don.
    Don Memmer

Sweet fish mems! Can someone clarify please? Mahi and dorado are the same fish, just different names in different regions?

-Taylor

Default Add to the Confusion

PMD (Taylor)

You might also include dolphin fish as a local name too. And, don't confuse this fish with the "golden dorado" from South America down Argentina way.
    TONY
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    Thanks Darian, I got three more that day, but this was the largest mahi I have gotten in a while. If things keep up it cold be a great winter of mahi fishing. And Darian thanks for always making a positive comment on my pictures. I hope other guys like the pics. I always bring my fly rod, but when the conditions are not right, it is difficult to use the fly rod. The water here is a little rougher than baja. I do think the heavy teaser rod is a great travel conventional rod. Take care, Don.
    Nice Mahi and nice picture. BTW, fishing is fishing.... Oh, and it looks like your reel is an Avet SX? Running straight mono or hollow braid with flouro topshot?

And, by the time Mahi shows up at our local fish 'counter' here in CA, it doesn't look too ono... You're are very fortunate.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 11-17-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Default Conventional Tackle

Mems (or Kiene members), any advice on how/where to purchase the TFO conventional rods and spinning rods. I know Kiene's is an official rep for TFO.

Thanks.
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"