Thread: Small Waters Northcoast?

Default Small Waters Northcoast?

I recently moved to Arcata, California and am not accustomed to fishing the large river systems such as the trinity and Klamath especially now that the water is increasing to winter flows. I was wondering if anyone knows of any smaller, productive fishey streams or lakes around the area? I am willing to hike to access and just want to catch a fish or two as I have been having no luck on the T/K. Also I have a float tube and can hike that into lakes as well though smaller river systems are my favorite type of water to fish...

Thanks

Check with Mike at the Eureka Fly Shop. Always good to make some connections with your local fly shops.
    Terry

Howdy-- as a proud alum of Humboldt State, class of 89, I offer the following. Van Duzen-- smaller, river, can be great, anadroumous fish.
    Humboldt Bay is one of the best saltwater spots in CA. Read Ken Hanley's stuff on this to whet your appetite. Mad River is great, when its great.
    Take the tube north to Big Lagoon. You'll be happy.

Good luck,
    Steve

Default Welcome to Humboldt!

Check your pm. I sent you a message.

My daughters went to HSU so I was able to spend considerable time in the area. As mentioned there are many places to fish that area. Closest are the Mad River beach, great Red Tail Perch, Mad River, the aforementioned lagoons, careful for the elk(!), and one of my old favorites the north jetty. Multiple varieties of rock fish and that is where I caught my biggest salmon.

if you knew how to read a map, u could look their

Default coastal cutthroat

A couple of posts have already mentioned Big Lagoon. Right now I forget the name of another estuary nearby. At both places one can anticipate coastal cutthroat.

Frank R. Pisciotta

www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com

Big Lagoon and Stonewater Lagoon are both periodically open to the ocean so can get steelhead and cutthroat. Just to he north (south of Orick) is Freshwater Lagoon that is planted with trout and is also a pretty good bass fishery (or was). If willing to drive, the upper Trinity and some of the other creeks feeding into Trinity Lake can be good trout fisheries but are subject to trout season closure. The Smith River and the North Fork Smith can be good cutthroat fisheries at times. Great fishing in Lakes in the Wilderness areas - Trinity Alps and Marble Mountains. Redwood Creek in Orick is a "small Stream" that gets good runs of steelhead. The upper reaches of the Mad River can be good at times - also check out some of the small creeks on topo maps - one that comes to mind is Hayfork Creek - need to check regulations - I was in the Forest Service up there for 3 years (early 70s) and had great fun fishing that creek with a light fly rod catching juveniles