Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Midge Fly Swap

Well, it is exactly 2 weeks from the date all swap flies were due to be put in the mail, so today I sorted and mailed all the swap flies back to everyone.

I ended up sending two of each swappers flies back along with a sorted set, because I concluded BigOkieWhiteBoy916 has dropped out of the swap -- he has not responded to my earlier post on this Board or to a PM I sent him a couple of days ago.

Also, by the way, a couple of swappers included return postage that was printed on a sticker by the post office and placed on the return envelope. I strongly advise against using such return postage in the future, because it is technically not legal for the post office to accept such postage. (The reason is printed postage has a mailing date on it that will be different from the actual date mailed.) Luckily, my post office did accept it but many will not and it could cause the return postage to be paid yet again by the swap host -- use stamps instead.

In any event, I think you fellas are really going to like these swap flies! There are some really cool, buggy-looking patterns, and I look forward to hearing of your success fishing 'em.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone who signed up and made this swap a success!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Sorry if I was one of the printed sticker guys. I sent my girl to the PO so she may have done that. Anyways, thanks for putting this on Mike, I'll keep an eye on the box!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Sorry if I was one of the printed sticker guys. I sent my girl to the PO so she may have done that. Anyways, thanks for putting this on Mike, I'll keep an eye on the box!
    Jay, your return package was in a regular envelope with no postage on it, so I paid the postage for it. No big deal.
    -- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    Jay, your return package was in a regular envelope with no postage on it, so I paid the postage for it. No big deal.

GEEZE! I'm sorry bud. She had express instructions to procure postage for both.

Wow...Did not know that ! Thanks for the info. I 'll be sure to use stamps instead.

Mikel

Jay, like I said, truly no big deal. It was absolutely my privilege and pleasure to host this swap and I'm especially looking forward to trying that furled leader you very kindly sent me. It is all good!
    -- Mike

Oh, and by the way, I forgot to mention that I tied and sent two different midge patterns for everyone:

1. Size 18 olive Diamond Midge pattern invented by Don Holbrook, which uses DMC embroidery floss (readily and cheaply available at Michael's) for the body and tied off with it per his detailed instructions in his book, "Midge Magic," and

2. Size 18 Chironomid Pupa pattern that uses turkey tail feathers for the body exactly as described by John Gierach in his book, "Good Flies."

I was just going to go with the Diamond Midge until I saw the flies everyone else started sending in . . . end up thinking I should tie something that at least looked like there was more to it.
    -- Mike

I dunno, I thought mine were pretty simple. I had some luck on a similar pattern on some selective fish. Originally on a TMC 206bl but I've really fallen out of favor with this hook since it'll open up on a 10"er which is too bad because it has a real nice profile to it.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Default midge swap

Mine arrived yesterday, thanks for the great flies guys. I will have to remember my cheaters or bring along my grandson to tie a few of those on for me.

Flies in hand. Very nice selection...when is Spring?!

Thanks again Mike for hosting.