Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Midge Fly Swap

Default Midge Fly Swap

Well, since Ben's wonderful foam fly swap has wrapped up, so to speak, I think it's time for another fly swap. With the trees changing colors, the nights getting cooler, and the anticipation of Winter/Spring trout, what better time to have a midge swap? So, if there's sufficient interest, let’s swap midge flies!

For those who don’t know, a fly swap involves tying up a set of identical flies and sending them in. The swap host (me) will then sort the flies so you get back one of each type of fly each person sent in, plus one of your own back. This is a great way to hone your tying skills, and it feels like Christmas when you get a package back in the mail.

Here are the rules for this swap:

1. This swap will be limited to 12 people counting myself so everyone needs to tie 12 flies. Any midge stage (egg, larva, pupa, or adult) is ok (although I've yet to see an effective midge egg fly ).

2. Please put a “toe tag” (a little slip of paper) on each fly hook with your username and name and size of fly – that way everyone will know who to contact to seek additional details regarding the pattern.

3. You will need to put your flies in the mail by 15 December 2010. I will PM everyone who signs up with the mailing address for your flies.

4. When you send in your flies, please include a self-addressed mailing envelope with sufficient postage so I can mail you your flies.

I want to sincerely emphasize this is not just for veteran fly tyers – I mean this, EVERYONE, especially those who have just started learning how to tie flies, is very welcome to participate. Midge flies are typically not overly challenging to tie and can be as simple or as complicated a fly as you feel comfortable tying. Actually, with midge flies, oftentimes the simplest ones are the most deadly . . . . Above all, this is meant to be fun!

If you want in, please sign up by replying to this thread with "I'm in." First 12 who sign up are in:

1. Hairstacker -- Flies are done!
    2. Jay -- Flies Received!
    3. BigOkieWhiteBoy916 -- Mailing Address Sent
    4. nrvi -- Flies Received!
    5. Scott V -- Flies Received!
    6. Mike Borba -- Flies Received!
    7. Nomadic Fisherman -- Flies Received!
    8. TMS -- Flies Received!
    9. Jgoding -- Flies Received!
    10. Frank.S -- Flies Received!
    11. WoolyBugger -- Flies Received!
    12. catch&release -- Flies Received!

Swap is officially closed to sign-ups.
    Last edited by Hairstacker; 12-24-2010 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Status Update
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

im in.

"i'm in" isnt long enough to be an acceptable message, lol

I'm In also. I'll tie my UV Raiders Midge. Silver and Black Baby!!!

Default midge swap

I'm in..I will let you know what my pattern is.

I'm in, i just want to get one of okies "Raiders" fly so I can burn it. Just kidding.

Sorry okie, I am a long time raider hater from back in the day, go Broncos, even though we suck something real bad this year.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    I'm in, i just want to get one of okies "Raiders" fly so I can burn it. Just kidding.

Sorry okie, I am a long time raider hater from back in the day, go Broncos, even though we suck something real bad this year.
    Umm 59-14... After that game if I was a Broncos fan I would hate the Raiders too.

I'll be tying a parasol midge in dark olive/brown.

Default Midge Swap

I'm in. I get my mail a day or two later than evreyone else it seems, so i haven't seen the foam swap flies yet. The photos look great. Anyway I'll decide later on what pattern.
    Mike Borba

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigOkieWhiteBoy916 View Post
    Umm 59-14... After that game if I was a Broncos fan I would hate the Raiders too.
    Why...we can just fall back on a decade's worth of history...what do you got?

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    Why...we can just fall back on a decade's worth of history...what do you got?
    An AFC Championship. Which I don't believe the Broncos have had in the last ten years. If you want we can talk about the all time record between the Raiders and Broncos, but I think the 59-14 was enough of an insult

I Love Football Season!