Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Report

Default Pyramid Report

Fished Warrior area Friday, late day, Saturday and Sunday. Friday afternoon was very good with ten fish to the tube in a couple of hours. Saturday was good with seventeen fish throughout the day. Sunday was a bust with the cold front that came in Saturday night. Marking alot of fish with apparent lock jaw. Wind was a problem Sunday. Olive was the color for the day with most fish in the 14 to 25 foot depth range. Average fish around 21-23 inches. One 13 pounder landed in our group. Good time had by all.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stever View Post
    Fished Warrior area Friday, late day, Saturday and Sunday. Friday afternoon was very good with ten fish to the tube in a couple of hours. Saturday was good with seventeen fish throughout the day. Sunday was a bust with the cold front that came in Saturday night. Marking alot of fish with apparent lock jaw. Wind was a problem Sunday. Olive was the color for the day with most fish in the 14 to 25 foot depth range. Average fish around 21-23 inches. One 13 pounder landed in our group. Good time had by all.

Steve
    In the tube eh? May have to pack my tube along with my ladder this weekend! How far off shore were you fishing? Have a sonar?

Thanks for the info!

_SHig

I have a sonar and it really helps with location of fish. That particular area varies considerably depth wise depending on where in the bay you fish. The area on the main lake side of the point drops off much quicker than the bay or west side. In the bay, west of Warrior Point, 25 foot water is a couple hundred yards off shore with the exception of parallel to the end of the point where it drops fairly quickly. We marked fish in different depths and hooked fish in water from 4 feet to 40 feet deep. Shallow water early in the day and deeper later. If you are going to tube, be very mindful of the wind and currents in the bay. One good leg cramp could lead to a long bobber ride or worse.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stever View Post
    I have a sonar and it really helps with location of fish. That particular area varies considerably depth wise depending on where in the bay you fish. The area on the main lake side of the point drops off much quicker than the bay or west side. In the bay, west of Warrior Point, 25 foot water is a couple hundred yards off shore with the exception of parallel to the end of the point where it drops fairly quickly. We marked fish in different depths and hooked fish in water from 4 feet to 40 feet deep. Shallow water early in the day and deeper later. If you are going to tube, be very mindful of the wind and currents in the bay. One good leg cramp could lead to a long bobber ride or worse.

Steve
    Yeah, I hear you about being blown a mile across! I'll have a good anchor and plenty of rope in case I need to recharge.

So, fast sink and woolies? Beetles? Midges?

I gotta start packing...

_SHig

Hope you don't mind me posting here I just did not want to start another Pyramid Report thread. Went with my brother in law to Pyramid again today for about 3 hours in the AM....It was pretty cold this morning low 30's with very little wind. I tied up a few smaller buggers in black and light olive and the fish seemed to love them. Today was the first time I caught fish on my own flies. I caught 4 and Kev caught 1 but between us we must have had 30+ bites. In the last pic you can see what the last fish of the day did to my fly.

Wow, can't believe you whiffed on so many! Where were you fishing?

I'll be hittin' the lake in the morning, hope they're in the mood to play.

_SHig

I'm thinking of going out Saturday, call me on the way home tomorrow shig. Doug if I do go you want to meet me out there.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    I'm thinking of going out Saturday, call me on the way home tomorrow shig. Doug if I do go you want to meet me out there.
    You sure you don't feel a fever coming on? I'll call ya with the big numbers. Of course it'll suck on Saturday.

_SHig

I know.....I can't beleive we missed that many either. I think part of the reason was I made the tails too long. Every single hit we had was on a long slow stip in. Some of them even came back 2-3x on the same strip in. We saw quite a few follow the fly right to the rod tip. Plus we need to work on our hook setting skills. It was only my brother in laws 5th time out fly fishing at all. We were on the water right at first light and I had my first on the third cast. We were at Pellican Beach and we were the only ones there for the first half of the morning at about 9AM the bite seemed to stop so we just drove to some random beach off the road and hit some more. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Digger38 View Post
    I know.....I can't beleive we missed that many either. I think part of the reason was I made the tails too long. Every single hit we had was on a long slow stip in. Some of them even came back 2-3x on the same strip in. We saw quite a few follow the fly right to the rod tip. Plus we need to work on our hook setting skills. It was only my brother in laws 5th time out fly fishing at all. We were on the water right at first light and I had my first on the third cast. We were at Pellican Beach and we were the only ones there for the first half of the morning at about 9AM the bite seemed to stop so we just drove to some random beach off the road and hit some more. Good Luck
    Awesome! I'll probably be hitting Warrior or Pelican first thing - hope I wake up early enough to be there at light.

_SHig