Thread: Leopard shark 2011

Default Leopard shark 2011

I have great memories of catching leopard sharks with my grandfather and parents in Morro Bay from 40+ years ago. Haven't fished for them since. I've decided to try an catch one on a fly in 2011. Any information / personal experience you would be willing to share would be appreciated. Thanks Mike Borba

Default leopards

We see them along our San Diego beaches quite often. I've only landed small ones.
    Suspect that we hook a large one occasionally as your line just streaks towards
    Hawaii. Best to just break off - or head directly to the fly shop. Some of the big 'uns
    are very impressive and will often get within a rod's length of you before spooking.
    There is a guy(guide?) named Lee B in the LA area that targets leopards at times.
    Think you can contact him for more info at http://www.fliflicker.com/ or maybe
    Gary Bulla's site.
    Also, think I remember David Lee getting into leopards some time ago and reporting
    on Kiene. What a great site, hey?
    Best,
    Larry S

Thumbs up Leopards....

The guides name is Lee Baer. You can check out his website at:

www.flyfishthesurf.com

I remember catching many Leopard Sharks of the piers on SoCal beaches at night when I lived down there. Lotsa fun.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Mike,
    We used to pester hoardes of stripers in Tomales from Tomasini Point and south to below Inverness. These have generally pretty much been replaced by Leopards. Great pram water too.
    ....lee s.

Default Thanks Lee

I might hit you up for more info by email or at a RRFF meeting, if i ever get down there. Mike

Mike O Guest

I used to catch all kindsa stuff in MB...Grew up there. Now??? I think it is an off limits MLPA...so much for kids fishing...