Thread: I Like Big Butts :)

Default I Like Big Butts :)

I knew you guys would jump on this if it got past Bill

I've got a couple of rods that after years of use need a little help. Specifically new fighting butts. The original butts seemed a bit small to begin with and now they're starting to show some crumbling of the cork.

I'd like to replace these old butts with new ones but have never taken one apart down to the core or the reel seat. How would be the easiest way to go about this?

Any help with a nicer new butt will be greatly appreciated
    TONY
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

DANG! I thought I was gonna see some big, surf-caught hali-butts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    How would be the easiest way to go about this?
    Is the butt detachable? If so thread an extension nut on it and chuck it into a drill press. Lathe! If it is fixed probably the best way would be an exacto followed by a strip of sand paper worked back and forth (sort of like the old shoe buffer idea) to remove the remaining cork. Good luck with your butt.

It's not hard at all. If you use a utility knife to carefully pare off all of the old cork, the blank will be in the middle. You can buy a new fighting butt cork from any number of shops online (shoff tackle, angler's workshop, jann's netcraft, etc.) and just ream out the i.d. of the new one and epoxy on.

Easy peasy.

_SHig

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post

TONY
    Boy Howdy.

Tony, I remember Oregonsalmon saying that up there in the great northwest big butts are everywhere. I think he compared some to Volkswagons. Maybe you should head north and see what's available.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default I like swelled butts.

Better for pushing to create fast action. Oh, I'm referring to bamboo rod tapers, like the rod built on a Dickerson taper I posted a couple of days ago. That has what is referred to as a swelled butt (the blank diameter increases rapidly toward the grip). It is supposed to provide faster action by pushing the release of energy upward toward the tip on the casting stroke.
    Last edited by DonCooksey; 11-08-2010 at 01:53 PM.
    Don C.