Thread: Davis 11/1-11/5

Default Davis 11/1-11/5

On Thursday 11/4 there was some theft of duck decoys by an individual driving a red and white pickup truck fishing out of a light colored canoe launching from cow creek. Apparently this individual stole some decoys out of a deek spread and there are some angry duck hunters and Plumas County Sheriff interested in any info. If you have any info contact Plumas Sheriffs Office.

There are a lot of folks waterfowl hunting on the lake so you should give them their space as they have the right to hunt the lake. Respect their hunting area and give them their space the lake is plenty big and there are many areas to fish. First come first serve to fishing/hunting spots on the lake. If you come across a deek spread just turn around and move away. Fish are all over.

Fishing was Fair with many smallish fish 14-16 or so. These fish are moving around in a big school. They were stationed off fugawee earlier this fall and have moved around and they pop up here and there in different places. They are covered with sores and blisters.
    I caught many of these fish and worked hard for 3 days trying to find some better size fish. I finally found a small pod(maybe a dozen at best) of 17-19" fish that were the recent plant of brood stock. These are clean fish for the most part with only some new blemishes of parasites and sores. Nice fish with orange throats and very reddish fins. Dark green backs. They are few and far between and they are getting yanked out fast as i saw a few stringers of nice fish headed for the cooler. There aren't many numbers or pods of big fish any more but if you fish hard and move around you may find a few left.

The fish are a bit sluggish and only rising showing themselves sporadically through out the day. They pop up here and there as conditions dictate. Much of the day is slow but it comes on and off so you have to put plenty of time on the water. IF you fish sun up to sun down you will get something. I recommend gearing up with a sinking line type 1-2 and a floater. Set up the sinker with a wiggle tail type attractor patterns and the floater for times fish are rising. Troll around with the sinker and try and find the fish. there are no bugs coming off really. In 5 days i only saw some small midges and they were few and far between. No snails floating any where from mosquito/lightning tree to fugawee. Although my friend pete found one tiny one on some plant stem. Maybe it will make a million kin.

Roads are pretty dry and in good shape for the most part but take it slow on the west shore as the road has some dangerous slick spots, 25 mph max. Stay out of the depressions along the shoreline as these spots are wet and you will get stuck. I saw a few knuckle heads come up and test their luck this week. Best to be smart and avoid any questionable areas.

The fishing is fair overall with mostly small fish with sores. Occasional bigger fish. They will grab most any bug when they want too.

Default Deek theft...

I saw a man in moreless a duckboat/pirogue come out of the back of the lake and pull up in front of a paraplegic van in Cow Creek. He has a wheel chair on shore and the van was silver in color. Larger camper-type van. I did not see him drop any gear outside the boat. Could have been a large duck in disguise.
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

Excuse Me ?
    You have a problem with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Chimenti View Post
    I saw a man in moreless a duckboat/pirogue come out of the back of the lake and pull up in front of a paraplegic van in Cow Creek. He has a wheel chair on shore and the van was silver in color. Larger camper-type van. I did not see him drop any gear outside the boat. Could have been a large duck in disguise.

It couldn't have been any nicer out at Lake Davis this past week - the fall colors alone pulled it off for me...

And of course where I go Woody my Golden Toller isn't far behind...chances are pretty good if you've met me you've met my dog...

The cooler temps brought some pretty respectable fish into the shallows...

And nothing beats fishing with good friends...

Jon "TroutStalker55B" fishing from shore..."Jay's Hide-a-way"

Jon with "Trout Dog" Madi and fish on - just one of many...

Paul "1flyfisher" with a fish on below Cow Creek...

And here's a picture of one of those nicer rainbows Paul took...

As Paul mentioned I did find a snail on a floating weed. I didn't get a picture but it was about the size of a match head - hopefully the sign of many, many more to come!!!

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Pete,

Great pictures, great report! It sure was a special week out there, Thanks for the memories - Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Anytime Jon...of all the weeks we've been out there this year since ice out, and that's a lot of weeks, this past week had to be right at the top. It's just such a beautiful time of the year and when the fish decide to cooperate it just doesn't get much better. And on top of that to be able to come home and watch the Giants win the world series after a great day of fishing you can't help but believe in some sort of magic.

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

What's a paraplegic van?
    I'd like to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Chimenti View Post

I assume a parapalegic van is front wheel drive...i.e. the back wheels don't work?

Thanks for the great photos. I'm going to head up to Davis this week. Has been a number of years since I've fished it. Based on the weather report I'm glad I added the integrated guide warmers to my rod.

Default Paraplegic van

My apologies to everyone I offended with my post about the decoy theft. I really had my head up the ass... so to everyone... sorry. I'll clean up my act and pay attention from here on out.
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.