Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a better fly fisher.............

Default Becoming a better fly fisher.............

I have watched my customers now for over 45 years and I see that many never get what I call "over the hump" or very far over it for that matter.

For many the problem is time. Time to devote to the sport. Just going a lot will improve you faster than almost anything else.

Casting skills is a big problem for many unless they address it seriously. Getting a lesson on casting from time to time is very powerful. Today fly shops, fly clubs and professional instructors like Jeff Putnam have very affordable or even free casting clinic.

Knot tying is another short coming. Your leader system, from the fly line to the fly, is a big mystery for many.

Simple things like having your hook sharp, tying very good strong knots, and casting well are all basic parts of the formula to becoming averagely more successful.

Reading the water is another part of the sport that is often over looked.

Timing is very critical too. I don't consider myself to be one of the best fly fishers but I know the timing for hundreds of fisheries, all over the world.

Getting out with some top fly fishing guides is a way to get better too.

Fly tying is not necessary but you will learn a lot from just a basic fly tying class.

Having good equipment is important and maintaining it too.

There is also tons of good info on the Web. Wonderful video clips on almost everything.

All this will help you become more successful.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I would like to add that hanging out at a quality fly shop, and talking to the guys who have been around for 45 years helps a lot too.

Don't be afraid to talk to the Geezer Patrol.

Good points Bill. Most of the anglers that I find that are good or as you say over the hump started when they were young and fished through high school and college. They fished a ton, hung out at fly shops, read magazines and books, and just emersed themselves in the sport cause at those times in peoples lives they have a lot of free time. I know for myself that is where I learned the most and spent the most time on the water.

Not having kids helps a lot too. Just kidding...

I was fortunate to have almost 15 years when I fished 100 days a year. Went to Los Roques for my honeymoon, for example. That average went to a low in the single digits.

Now my son is now at the age where he really wants to learn to flyfish. I fortunately had rare good judgement to not force it. I can't wait for the next phase of my fishing life...

Quote Originally Posted by dbrosier View Post
    I would like to add that hanging out at a quality fly shop, and talking to the guys who have been around for 45 years helps a lot too.

Don't be afraid to talk to the Geezer Patrol.
    Then after awhile the fly shop/ geezer patrol starts picking your brain !

Great post Bill, your words are golden! Thanks for that.

Jon
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

These are some of the people who made a big difference in my fly fishing and my business.

http://www.kiene.com/aboutus/geezer.shtm

**Fun to imagine these guys fly fishing 60 years ago with split cane rods, old fly reels with silk fly lines and 'cat gut' leaders.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Default Becoming a better....................

It is very satisfying to recall the influences in my fly fishing; Frank Amato, Bill McM, Bakke, Teeny, etc. I knew some better than others, being lucky enough to grow up in Portland in the late '60's. These people are well known, it's the less known that I remember best:
    A fellow named Les; he witnessed my first landed Steel, Nestucca river 1968: I was fishing a slot in front of the campground at high noon after a morning of successful sea-run cutty fishing, 2-lb. test leader on a Mitchell 300 with 4 lb. test, 6-1/2 ' glass rod and a crawdad tail and split-shot. hooked up and after realizing I needed help, I hollered while running downstream and it all ended well with a bright 30" hen. this guy watched the circus and when it was all over, he motioned me over and told me about 3 or 4 other slots on the upper river and how to fish them in detail. From then on, I caught fish in the spots he'd shown me.
    A fellow who had a tackle shop in SE Portland named Don McLain in the '60-70's: Don was THE pioneer in the skated/waking fly on the DESCHUTES. He was fishing this style when people were still saying steelhead wouldn't take a surface fly in the 1960's. Don didn't care what folks said or thought, he knew what he had and if you were quiet and respectful of the totality of it, he'd offer a tip or two. I think he was a WWII vet, kind of guy who, in his own unassuming way, could cast a WF7F Fenwick glass rod 80' and throw a mend in the end while you popped your eyes out at the effortlessness of his motion. Eveyone today who is waking or skating owes it to this man and a very select few, who broke the barriers, thought "OUTSIDE THE BOX" and, in so many ways, took it to another level. I remember them, and am a better man for having the privilege.
    Robert

I'm going to add just plain 'ol time on the water really helps. While classes, instruction, videos, etc. can help hone a skill or learn a new one, nothing will replace just getting out and going fishing. Your casting gets better, your presentation more accurate, your ability to detect strikes more zen like, etc. Hard to get over the hump if your only fishing 10 days a year.

That's what makes the sport so great. Just when you think you know it all, somebody or something comes along and turns your world upside down and you feel like a beginner again.

Quote Originally Posted by pvsprme View Post
    It is very satisfying to recall the influences in my fly fishing; Frank Amato, Bill McM, Bakke, Teeny, etc. I knew some better than others, being lucky enough to grow up in Portland in the late '60's. These people are well known, it's the less known that I remember best:
    A fellow named Les; he witnessed my first landed Steel, Nestucca river 1968: I was fishing a slot in front of the campground at high noon after a morning of successful sea-run cutty fishing, 2-lb. test leader on a Mitchell 300 with 4 lb. test, 6-1/2 ' glass rod and a crawdad tail and split-shot. hooked up and after realizing I needed help, I hollered while running downstream and it all ended well with a bright 30" hen. this guy watched the circus and when it was all over, he motioned me over and told me about 3 or 4 other slots on the upper river and how to fish them in detail. From then on, I caught fish in the spots he'd shown me.
    A fellow who had a tackle shop in SE Portland named Don McLain in the '60-70's: Don was THE pioneer in the skated/waking fly on the DESCHUTES. He was fishing this style when people were still saying steelhead wouldn't take a surface fly in the 1960's. Don didn't care what folks said or thought, he knew what he had and if you were quiet and respectful of the totality of it, he'd offer a tip or two. I think he was a WWII vet, kind of guy who, in his own unassuming way, could cast a WF7F Fenwick glass rod 80' and throw a mend in the end while you popped your eyes out at the effortlessness of his motion. Eveyone today who is waking or skating owes it to this man and a very select few, who broke the barriers, thought "OUTSIDE THE BOX" and, in so many ways, took it to another level. I remember them, and am a better man for having the privilege.
    Very nice post 'pvsprme'.......many of us "baby boomers?" were lucky to have fathers, uncles and old friends from the "great generation" so we have a special feeling for the older folks and fond memories too. Thanks....I think we were very lucky.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958