Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for #3 weight 9'

Default Looking for #3 weight 9'

I am considering getting a #3 weight 9’. Right now I have a TFO Lefty Kreh Series One #3 7’6” and would like the additional length for better casting distance and fly control. Price range is under $300. Cabela’s offers the LST but can’t seem to find much out there unless I go big money like the sage.
    Any of you Gent’s use a #3 weight 9’ and what would you recommend.

Thanks,

Frank

I hear the Rainshadow 8'6" 4 pc 3 wt is supposed to be a sweet blank. I was planning on building one myself when I had some time. I would still love to have a nice 9' for the tube though...

I did build an eBay blank 4 pc 3/4 wt but it's pretty clumsy - more of a high stick rod than a finesse dry fly stick.

_SHig

The only one I know of off hand is the Z axis but slightly out of your price range. I've owned the 8 1/2' #3 TFO pro for many years and am really happy with it.

We have a new Redington CPX 9' #3 - 4 pc rod in stock for $299.00

The entire CPX series from #3 to #12 weight is a winner.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default 3 wt

I used an Orvis 9' 3 wt until I picked up a Sage 8'9" 3wt LL. While the 9' rod provided a little more line control, the Sage gives me more of a feel when the fish is on.

Paul

I have the Z Axis 9' and it is a very fine rod indeed. If you are willing to consider an 8'6" rod instead of 9' and save a lot of coin, consider the Redington CT 863-4. I have the Redington CT in 2 and 4 wts and have friends with the 3wt and we all love the retro medium action of that series. For the price they are nothing short if amazing. Best.

If you want a faster action go for the Redington CPX series. 9'#3 - 4pc = $299

If you want a softer action go for the Redington CT series. 8'6" #3 - 4pc = $149
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I owned the TFO 8'6" professional series and thougth that was a spectacular performing rod for the price. Compared it to everything on the rack the price/performance ratio made it an easy decision. Good luck.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

I own the Reddington CPS 8'6" 3wt 4 pcs. I have had a lot of fun with this rod. It does like to cast distance rather then up close though. Not sure if they still make it though ,it is a few years old.

The other option is to get the Redington CT in a 4 wt which is 9 ft. Since it is a medium action rod, it probably has more "feel" than a 3 wt fast action rod like the Z-axis.