Thread: Hot time in Hawaii

Default Hot time in Hawaii

We hiked out to see the lava pouring into the ocean last sunday evening.

Luke tried to blow the vog away.

We started our hike from a friend's house.

We got right up to where the lava was pouring into the ocean.

We got some great shots. Then we heard a strange noise up hill from the ocean.

It was an outbreak in the lava. It was a little sketchy walking over crumbling lava and seeing glowing hot lava under cracks in the hardened lava.

It was cool being just feet away from the outbreak. Luke played in the lava with some rocks and a stick.

It was pretty warm standing next to it. I should have brought some marshmellows.

Luke and Joy, my wife had a pretty good time.

The fishing has been pretty hot lately. We got these mahi and tuna yesterday. It was too rough to flyfish, so I got them on spinners and used some bait. I even fought a pilot whale for about 20 minutes yesterday, until it cut the leader.

got these four last week

Got these three the week before that.

The cats love sashimi! I hope you all have a great Halloween, Mems.
    Don Memmer

Exclamation Hot Time....

Aloha Don,.... The photo's of the lava flows are spectacular!!! I always thought it was too hot to get as close as you guys did. How far did you have to hike to get to the flows in to the ocean Good fish photo's BTW.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default close lava

Hey Darian, you only have to hike along the coast a mile or so to get right up to the lava. Our friend does a tour for tourists, but he took us for free. He charges $25 a person and takes them right to the lava. There is another group that hikes in from a diner and charges like $50-80 to hike them in from 3 miles out. The flow is on private proberty and the county keeps the normal sightseers a good distance back, like over a mile. You can see the smoke going in and a little glow but that is all. Everyone wants to make a buck.
    In 1993 a french photographer was stupid and fell off a new bench that had formed and got parboiled. Other than that no major injuries or deaths. There are tour boats that will take toruists up to the lava going into the ocean, but if the wind is bad you only see smoke, and it is the dangerous part, hydrochloric acid and all. One of those boats crashed on some rocks last week. He of course was not liscensed to take tourists by boat to see the lava. It is really cool to see, and does have a certain ammount of danger, but so does crossing the street or driving home.
    The mahi fishing has been pretty good lately. I just wish it wasn't so rough so I could cast a fly more. Glad you guys hd a good time in baja. I hope to get down there next season.
    Glad you liked the pictures, Don.
    Don Memmer

Default A little off topic but...............

Mems, I think it was on July 30th this summer, I was on a plane from San Francisco to Kona, and I noticed a fly fisherman with his gear bag and rod tubes on board. We briefly chatted when we landed, he said he was coming from, I think he said Virginia. Could that have been you?

-Taylor

Default Virginia

Yup, that would be me. I got to fish West Virginia and the area around Roanoke. I posted a picture story on this board when I got back. If you see a guy on the Big Island with a fly rod, it is probably me.
    Don Memmer

Right on, hopefully I'll be heading over again soon........

-Taylor