Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truckee Area

Default Truckee Area

If one wants to fly fish the Truckee area; now is the time...before the snows fall. This month's fly angling has been good and it should continue for a couple of more weeks before air temps get too frigid. Truckee is in the teens at night.

Mid-day fly angling will provide you with the best opportunity. Earlier this week the big Truckee was blown-out because of the previous week-end's rain deluge at lower elevations. I believe the snow on the peaks will remain now. I still have small snow patches on the north side of my home (6500' elevation).

Fall is beautiful in the mountains. For you skiiers and gliders...looks like a really nice season is in store for you. Plus, the trout can use another good winter.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Ill be stomping around your neck of the woods on Sunday! Just stepped away from tying for the trip.

Frank,

What is your definition of the Truckee fishin "good"? Just curious.

I was up a little over a week ago and I agree, the Fall colors are gorgeous! Coming back again one day this week.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Default What is "Good"?

For me, "good" is 4-6 fish to the net in 5-8 hours on the BT or LT. I'm not talking inlets, just moving waters.

IMO, ratings are relative to the venue fished. Now, when I first started fly fishing in Northern California, on the Upper Sac, McCloud and Hat Creek, "good" was a minium of 10 trout brought to hand; anything less was "fair" at best.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Game is starting..........Go Giants!

Well, I managed 4, so I guess it was "good" afterall!

Spent about half of the time at the LT and the other half at the T. The baetis didnt make much of a show for us on the LT.

Default Truckee

Thanks for the post Frank, great name by the way.....
    I will be hooking up with Matt Koles, Gilligan’s Guide Service Sunday morning to pick up some of his flies. Then off to the river. Hopefully he will have some good recommendations on where to go; can’t wait.

Frank Roepke

Default da Sheriff of the Canyon

Frank---Matt is great tyer and has developed some very creative...and productive...original patterns for the BT (big Truckee). I call him "da Sheriff of the Canyon". He lives in Hirschsdale; the BT being in his back-yard. I personally feel he is the most knowledgable fly fishing guide as it pertains from the LT inflow at Boca...through the canyon...to the CA/NV state-line.

Winterrun--- legit question about what I consider "good" relative to the fishing on BT and LT. Hey it is all relative to the individual. You live in Rosevillle (my wife is a "born & raised" Loomite). What to do considerr "good" for the BT or LT?

Below is an excerpt of an article I authored for the Spring 2002 issue of Northwest Fly Fishing

[I]"If you are looking for easy fly fishing, don't come here! California's Truckee River is not a good place for the dilettante. This fishery befuddles competent fly fishers. Also , self-proclaimed hotshots with high expectations gleaned from constant success on other flowing waters---I was there during my first decade of fly fishing---will be disheartened. But, if one is patient and attentive, this eastern Sierra freestone stream will begrudgingly expose its secrets."

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank-
    Thanks for the kind words about Matt. I look forward to meeting him and plan on hiring him for a guide one I take a Spay casting class for y Switch rod.
    I have only fished the Truckee 6 times and have not done well, except by Squaw Valley area. Caught several smaller bows.
    LT= Little Truckee & BT= Big Truckee?
    I live in the Greenhaven area, south of downtown sac 5 miles, couple blocks from the Sac River. Roseville is a nice area, we have a store in Rocklin, and I’m up there quite a bit.

Frank

Frank, so far, I have to settle with "good" for me as being one 18" brown/15-20 hours fishing in the last month (I don't count dinks under 12", had a few of those). But when I say 15-20 hours, I mean hours of actual line in the water fishing. So I'd be thrilled with a multiple fish day. But I'd be eqully thrilled if I get that one big bite in the next trip... or three. I'm still looking for my big boy. Hope to get him in November!
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Default BT & LT/under 12"

Frank---Correct, BT and LT; big Truckee and Little Truckee respectively.

WinterRun---How many less than 12" have you caught during your 15-20 hours on the Truckee?

Frank R. Pisciotta