Thread: Help me start a Basic Midge and Emerger Fly Box

Default Help me start a Basic Midge and Emerger Fly Box

I've been fly fishing for about 12 years, mainly on the Trinity River. I have come to the conclusion that I am missing out by not tying emergers or midges pattens. BTW, the Trinity River where I fish is mainly mayflies, not caddis.

I'm stumped at what to tie. I would like 3 or 4 midge and emerger patters. Something very "all-purpose," like my beloved Parachute Adams.

I've decided, and had good luck, with Pat Dorsey's patterns, but the season ended before I could really get into midges. I also have the Tying Emergers book, which is overwhelming.

Thanks for suggestions.

Check out "Modern Midges" by Rick Takahashi and Jerry Hubka. The book has a ton of info. But it is clear concise and well organized.
    Last edited by Jaybinder; 10-24-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Default Midges

You might also take a look at Charley Cravens site, Charlie's Fly Box, it has some great midge patterns.

Check out Brian Chan.

Default Midges

I have started a midge box as well. I started with black thread silver wire. Red Thread silver wire and brown thread with silver wire...I bought the book listed above and there are hundreds of more ideas... but the black w/silver wire and with or without a bead has worked everywhere I have thrown it.
    "Is this your homework Larry?"

Funny thing, I started building a midge box too about a week ago, starting with Gierach's midge patterns he discusses in his "Good Flies" book. I'm thinking, after the current foam swap wraps up, we should probably have a midge swap.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTroutbelly View Post
    I have started a midge box as well. I started with black thread silver wire. Red Thread silver wire and brown thread with silver wire...I bought the book listed above and there are hundreds of more ideas... but the black w/silver wire and with or without a bead has worked everywhere I have thrown it.
    Thanks guys. BTW, that was my first midge (a Zebra-like midge), and it worked great, but I started using it about a week before the season ended.

My friend was the biologist for the Trinity River, and he used to do all types of fun things, like snorkel the Trinity River Fly Fishing Only Area, fish it during the off-season for research (he said he had 50 STEELHEAD days doing that!), and pump stomachs. He sent me a picture of a pumped stomach of a 16 inch trout, and what was in there...... about a zillion tiny mayfly nymphs.