Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I Quit Fishing

I don't think fish feel pain in there mouth. For example, my dog has been hooked with a crankbait. Now everytime he sees that lure his tail goes between his legs and he's scared as hell, but I've caught the same fish 3 times in a row all within 10 minutes. If he feels pain he sure is dumb. I just don't think there is enough flesh and nerves in there mouth to feel much pain... I'm sure they feel something though. I like what maodiver said. Cut the hook and just fish for the take. That's the best part anyways.

Good luck on where life takes you Michael, and always do what your heart says.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

What a thoughtful post. Thank you for that.

My father, born in Belgium and raised in New York, had a father that loved to fish. When my dad was about 12 my grandfather took him to one of the rivers near the city and got him to sit with a rod. As my dad told me many times, "I caught a fish right away but it was doing nothing but trying to get away, even though my dad had told me, "...they don't feel any pain...". I hated that fact that it was trying so hard to not get caught and dragged out of the water. I never fished again."

My dad bought me my first rod and reel because he saw I loved to fish with my older brothers and he was not beyond eating what we caught either. He was just one of those people that can't "kill the chicken" to make soup but he was not against anyone else doing it. (I won't bother telling you what he said when he came upon me pulling the skin off the frogs legs.....)

I see your decision as well thought out and very personal and respect it. I see it especially clearly from the perspective having also had a small commercial salmon boat for years and having killed fish for a living.

One more story: A friend taught a Fly Fishing course through a college here (on the north coast) and he wanted to have the class "get their feet wet" on "real water" for a final but the classes were going to stop a week or two before the trout season opened. Having a few good friends in the F&G as well as a few more friends that were biologists for F&G he got permission to do a "stream side survey" using fly fishing techniques on a (difficult) stream before the season opened using flies without the hook section. He then had the class tie up a bunch of really "fluffy" dense yarn flies and took them out. If memory serves me correctly they actually brought to hand about six fish that got their teeth caught up in the yarn. No 20" browns here! Just a few small fish. But as a previous message said the thrill of the grab was what they were after.

Your post will certainly make me think for years to come.

I think Mike hit it - to me much of my fishing experience is being out on the water or in places that are just great to be either on my own or with friends. Hooking and or catching fish is purely secondary to that experience - so if you enjoy the hunt take up his suggestion - cut off the hook bend and fish for the hunt and the grab.

When I am spring creek fishing I consider I have won the battle when I see a head come up and suck in my fly - the fight is secondary. While steelhead fishing that initial strike is what keeps me coming back though I would continue to fish for steelhead if someone told me i would not hook another fish! I love the 2-hand game and being somewhere wild steelhead live!!

PS - a similar analogy could be hunting - those that hunt with a camera get the same enjoyment out of the stalking and being out in great country without having to kill the animal in question

Just because the fish does what it does when its hooked is in no way an indication that it feels pain. It is simply acting on a survival instinct.

I have enjoyed your posts and am sorry for your decision.

Smile Why I quit fishing

If it's the barb and point that bothers you, cut it off. The art of fly fishing is presenting and positioning a food item in a natural manner. Just my 2 cents.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Guys, the only reason I posted my reason for quitting was to remove the concern some people had about my health being the reason. I didn't post it to start a debate or to get talked out of it.

Thanks though.

Thanks for your concern, past post, and pics. I believe those of us in our age group do start to look at things from a little different perspective. Hope you receive great gratification in all your pursuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneedeep View Post
    Bravo Michael, for having the strenght of your conviction!
    I support your choice........

I had read the following a while back. I neither support, or reject this, but did find it an interesting read;

http://cotrout.org/do_fish_feel_pain.htm
    That is an excellent read that sheds light on the neurology of the age old fish and pain question. For my money, science always wins.

However, I would completely agree that 95% of fisherman cause far too much physical (NOT emotional) stress on the fish by playing it, holding it out of the water, etc. For the most part, fishing is detrimental to the fish's health, especially in high pressure areas. Just another reason to go out and find your very own piece of water!