Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weights to get the Fly down?

Default Weights to get the Fly down?

Need help on this;

Is there an easy way to get weights off your line?

I was thinking of switching to the type of weight I use on a spinning set-up. They have the V on the opposite side of the clamp so you can pinch it off.

What types of weights do you guys use to get your fly down on a floating line?

Thanks,

Frank

Try tungsten putty weight. You can take it off or add to it at any time and it's reusable.

_SHig

Default Weights

I use BossTin. When I take weight off, I just place my fingernail in the grove and push. It opens right up.

The V style weight will create spin on your casting.

Lance
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

I carry a gerber multi tool in my vest and use the pliers to pinch the weights off. SHig your putty idea sounds better, I'll have to try it.

Dan

Default hanging on bottom and scaring fish.

Not only would the “v” style create spin in the cast, I would also assume that the chances of those hanging up on rocks or grasses on the bottom increases significantly as well. In certain waters I have also witnessed fish moving away from silver color weights, and less on the green/dark color ones. This has primarily happened on heavily pressured tail waters that are running gin clear of course with very big and educated fish. They also moved away from bead head flies.

I usually use Dunsmores. Kind of expensive… but I am usually able to get a finger nail in there to remove as needed.

I want to give the putty style another try. Is there a secret to getting it to stay in place? I bought some a while back and it either fell off or slid up and down my line. By the end of the day I was so pissed I just threw the little bit I had left in the trash.
    Whats the propper way to apply this stuff?

I either apply the putty over a knot or over a very small split shot. It usually will stay put that way.

I'm going to stop by the shop this afternoon and see if they have some putty. It might be easier for me to tie a small knott in the line to hold the putty in place than tring to hassle with serveral weights.

Thanks

Frank

Dunsmores is a good weight. I don't lose many but I do have to tie in a short (6-8in) heavy section of tippet into my leader just to add the weight too. They don't slide around and you pinch them down pretty good without having any breakage. I use forceps to remove the weights so the are re-usable.

I tried the putty before and found it to be messy , gunk on my fingers and line, and it wouldn't stay on well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpinmeat View Post
    Dunsmores is a good weight. I don't lose many but I do have to tie in a short (6-8in) heavy section of tippet into my leader just to add the weight too. They don't slide around and you pinch them down pretty good without having any breakage. I use forceps to remove the weights so the are re-usable.

I tried the putty before and found it to be messy , gunk on my fingers and line, and it wouldn't stay on well.
    The stuff can be nasty if you don't take it off at the end of the day and it gets hot in the car. Some may be better than others as well.

_SHig