Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muertos Bay.... Oct '10

Thumbs up Muertos Bay.... Oct '10

I've been sitting around here wondering whether I should report this trip as one of the best or worst of the many trips I've been on down there.... Of course, the host, company, hotel and fishing were great, as usual but the trip began immediately after a bad omen.... I broke a cap off a tooth on the day before we left. No problemo. Just get down there and fugeddaboudit.

Things were going well until Wednesday AM in the dark when I stepped on a pile of damp and slippery rocks. One gave way as did my left ankle buckling my knee. My weight landed on top of the reels and broke the handle off my Abel, Super 12.

After an assessment of the damage to my ankle/knee, it's obvious that the ankle is badly sprained, rapidly swelling but I'm not staying on the beach. The knee's stiff but undamaged. We wrap some ice cubes in a bandana, tie it round my ankle and go fishing. That day we break my partners spinning rod. I'm doing well enough to fish thru Thursday. That night I get a case of Montezuma's Revenge and spend Friday sleeping in between visits to the "john". Lost some weight, tho. Long trip home. Ahh, the vagaries of travel....

OK, down to the fishing. It was truly as good as Jay described it in his posts. When you found Dorado, they were en masse. I tend to horse these fish in (if possible) and at one point I was landing/releasing 3 to 1 for my fishing partner. In her defense, she caught a good size Bull on one stop. We caught at least 2 maybe 3 small Roosters plus a bunch of Jacks up to about 10 pounds within a couple of hundred yards of the launch point at Muertos. Skippies were larger overall than at other times of the year and we caught several of them. My partner caught the only Yellowfin Tuna by the group. Before we went hunting for them, they were plentiful but a lengthy run from Muertos. When we made the run (Wednesday), they had all but dissappeared. In spite of that, my partner got one and I had a couple of hook-ups that I thought might be Ahi.... They each got off.

This suicidal fish took the fly that appears in it's eye socket and then broke off. It was then caught by my fishing partner complete with the broken off fly.

In our boat, the captain can fish too.

The result.

Fresh Sashimi, Wasabi Y' Limo'n back at the landing.... MMM, MMM!!!

Check out the spots (in addition to the regular colors) on this fish. Amazing!!

Would I go thru this again Absolutely!!!!
    Last edited by Darian; 10-18-2010 at 05:43 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

That's crazy Darian....

I broke off a tooth the night before I left for this 3 week trip to Florida. Was chewing some gummy candy and it came loose.

No chance to get to the dentist because we flew out that next morning.

It is not obvious so I did not tell my wife about it because it would have ruined our trip with her worrying about it.

It is still OK.

No sprained ankle...yet.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Wow! The spots on that dorado are gorgeous. I sure like Effren. What a nice guy and a great guide.

Darian,

Seems that what you had in La Paz is in Fresno. Both my neighbors have the same symtoms and same results. Thank god I didn't get anything but now I have my allergies back. And today after ripping up my back yard, I came in to take a "senior citizen" break and all HELL broke loose. Both of my ham strings got the worse cramp that I have ever had. It almost put me into tears. I guess tearing up a back yard isn't for me. Maybe a good game of Texas Hold'm.

Yep, the dorado fishing was good along with the jacks. I think those who signed up and cancelled definitely missed a good trip. My other captain Ramon now is equipped with a TFO TiCrX 10wt and a Galvan reel to boot. I will have some video footage of Ramon casting in my short video.
    On Thursday, I thought I was jinxed. I farmed my first three dorado at the boat, right before being picked up. The everything came together and the rest of the day was fun.
    Even though we didn't hook into any yellow fin, it was an adventure. The two jacks I caught were of a decent size. One was a smige over 20lbs and the other one was a high teener. My partner Doug Olmsted had a great time and learned how to "cherry pick" your dorado. We had a couple great dorado dinners back at the hotel.

If you're interested, check out my schedule on my web site www.fliesunlimited.com and click on baja trips. The first trip in May is wide open but the other listed weeks are starting to fill up.. Ya might want to think about an October trip

Watch for the video of the October trip, soon to hit the screen.

Jay

Thumbs down Cramps....

Jay,.... One word for cramps: Gatorade (electrolytes).... I'm just now beginning to hydrated again....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Yeah, I drank two bottles and it seems to have taken care of the problem. No yard work for this old fart, it's time to sit and relax at a texas hold'm table

I also have to start tying flies for next year.

Jay

Default Oct. in La Paz

That's funny how omens start your trip. Where'd you find a rock on the beach? I thought it was just sand there. Muertos? Is that around the point from the lighthouse?

Anyway, congratulations to Renee as usual on taking the only yellowfin ( and a nice one at that!) That spotted dorado really is unusual. We've seen lots of different color patterns but spotted like that is a first.
    TONY
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Here's a few photo's of the trip

Every morning was like this

Captain Ramon Green (Mancho)

1 1/2 tucked position

Layed out

El dorado y la mosca

Bull dorado

Beautiful colors

le cabeza

I'll have some video footage later this week

Jay

Tony,

Muertos bay is up the road 3km from where you turn into Punta Arena. From May to October they usually launch at the lighthouse, due to the south winds. South winds can make it a rough ride to the island from Muertos. When the winds change to the north the move the boats to Muertos because of the big swells and shore breaks.
    What? you've never fished in Muertos for roosters and jacks. In May, June and July, there are a number fish around the La Playa San Juan area.

Jay

Thumbs up Muertos....

Hi Tony,.... Muertos is a slightly deeper south facing (I believe) beach. Frequently, there's a shore break that uncovers rocks beneath the sand. Also, there's a concrete launch ramp for trailers. Each side of the ramp is supported by boulders that remain slippery and that's where I found that I could do my latest slapstick act for a laugh.... No excuses really....

Jay, those jumpin' Dorado photos are spectacular!!!

Author unknown