Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower Sac, Feather, Yuba Rivers Fishing Report

Well said Hogan!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Guys, I've noticed over the years, that the fishermen that need the most help, are least likely to listen. They've got it figured already.
    Can't bear guides, the very people who could help.
    Literally argue with you about setting, when their bobber goes down.
    They have to fish a dry when no noses are showing.
    Must swing a bugger during a rising storm of BWO's.
    Won't have fun and, attempt to convince you not too as well..
    I help those that want info, and ignore the rest.
    More fun that way. Oh, and by the way, it's pretty sweet up here right now.
    Contrary to unpopular opinion....

Personally, I've learned not blame the fish, if I'm not catching them.....(and certainly not a guide).

Thanks for the water reports, I'll sure be useing that info.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 10-19-2010 at 12:26 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

I posted earlier because I went out with Ryan Sept. 30th. and the last fish we caught for the day put us right at 30 hook-ups for the day. (Landed just over half of those). I was amazed at how many salmon were in the river. Also being my first ever guided trip, it was easy to see just how much more water you cover from the drift boat and how much longer your flies are in productive water.

-Taylor

Hogan is a lieing S.O.S. worse, he is a giants fan. I would trust anything he says.

Quote Originally Posted by hogan brown View Post
    amoeba .... Wow man you are a real debbie downer ... Just telling everyone what i saw on the river while i was out there sunday and standing up for one of my best friends. Also read my post. I didn't say 2 waders i said, "2 groups of waders" which consisted of about 6 people.

Also i didn't say fishing was good. It was fair and we had to work hard for our fish, but sense we spent 10 hours on the river and drifted from the bridge to the dam we were able to put up some numbers.

Furthermore, you are wrong about the salmon returns. Salmon returns on the feather and yuba are up from previous years. Check the hatchery data from the feather river hatchery and counts over daguerre on the yuba. Now if you are taking the average from a decade ago, or even two, no they are still low. Improvement is improvement though.

Just cause no one around you is catching fish doesn't mean there isn't fish to be caught fishing out of a boat makes a big difference.

If you don't like reports from guides, don't want to use the information in them to catch some fish, and want to maintain an over all negative attitude towards guides that is your business. Bottom line is there is going to be a lot more reports from guides than casual anglers, we are on the water a whole lot more, its your gig if you want to pay attention to them, but don't question mine or ryan's integrity and honesty just cause we are guide.

oh snap!!!!!!!!
    hey, careful man, there's a beverage here

Default RJs report should be taken as gospel!

I have fished with RJ as a client the past 3 years (about 8 total days), and after every trip, I read his reports. His reports are exactly what happened that day. The latest report for the Feather River was my latest two day trip. It is word for word what we experienced that day. Lots and lots of salmon to fish around(and work for RJ), with some hook ups on quality steelhead. While not high in quantity, I would call 5 steelies between 20" and 24" on the second day (and several more half pounders under 20" both days), pretty awesome! Last October we hit a 60+ fish day(between two anglers) on the lower Sac from Sundial downstream to near Anderson. If I had told someone that, they would never believe it. RJ is by far the best guide myself and my buddy have ever used. This is coming from two guys who have fished with guides at Lees Ferry, the Lower Owens, the Snake, etc. Book him once and you won't be disappointed! Your great day will also end up in his factual fishing report!

Thanks RJ for another great trip!
    Chad
    Last edited by sierraholic; 10-21-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by PMD View Post
    I posted earlier because I went out with Ryan Sept. 30th. and the last fish we caught for the day put us right at 30 hook-ups for the day. (Landed just over half of those). I was amazed at how many salmon were in the river. Also being my first ever guided trip, it was easy to see just how much more water you cover from the drift boat and how much longer your flies are in productive water.

-Taylor

2 people + 15 fish = 7-8 fish/per person/per day. If you actually counted them; which you did not. And, judging by the round numbers - neither did your guide.

Here's what I see: round numbers, no verification by anyone other than the guide and his client, no specifics - nothing on description of the flies, nothing about the depth, the water temperature, the technique, the rod.

Then we get to the advertisement about open dates. Real specific there. And plenty of them. After a couple dozen of the same thing (a bunch of fish caught with no information -plus the advertising) - it gets more than a bit old. This website already has rules - which just aren't being followed.

I'm not saying all guide reports are useless - but this one doesn't have much in it.

Hogan, you are right about the salmon runs being up - how could they not be? There were ~1,500 fish on the Yuba all last year, a near historic low. What you are looking at is low, clear, water, at a return so far of roughly 2,000 Yuba fish - that's somewhere around 15% of the long term average. 5-6 thousand? PPPFFFFTTTT.

When there are 10-17 thousand fish coming back, let me know; until then, the only reason to fish the Yuba would be to get a burger and watch the game at Pre-Game in Marysville afterwards. Go Giants!!!
    Last edited by amoeba; 10-23-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: go giants!!!

Default well, make that 1,602 fish last yr

http://www.yubaaccordrmt.com/RMT%20D...20(3-2-10).pdf

Just in case you thought I was low-balling; this year ain't no great shakes neither. The device is just fish which pass the ladder, doesn't include fish that spawned below Daguerre and never entered the ladder. There is also a carcass count estimate that is similar, I believe (those are the fish you see which are chopped in half - which is done by a survey crew).
    Last edited by amoeba; 10-23-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJSFLYTRIP View Post
    Yuba: The Yuba is back to its normal self. For those of you that were lucky enough to fish this river from the middle of September to the first of October it was truly impressive. The Yuba had a big early push of salmon and it got all of those trout fired up. We were averaging 30+ hookups for three weeks. But now it is back to normal with my last three days out there giving up about 20 hookups. The hot bugs have been eggs and small mayfly nymphs.

I have several prime dates still open for November for anyone wanting to fish the Feather or Lower Lower Sac.

November 1, 4-5, 9-11 (PRIME DATES!)

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    2 people + 15 fish = 7-8 fish/per person/per day. If you actually counted them; which you did not. And, judging by the round numbers - neither did your guide.

Here's what I see: round numbers, no verification by anyone other than the guide and his client, no specifics - nothing on description of the flies, nothing about the depth, the water temperature, the technique, the rod.

Then we get to the advertisement about open dates. Real specific there. And plenty of them. After a couple dozen of the same thing (a bunch of fish caught with no information -plus the advertising) - it gets more than a bit old. This website already has rules - which just aren't being followed.
    It seems you hold an interesting opinion in regards to the meaninglessness of round numbers. (although 15 isn't round)

The OP did say "about" 20, so it might have been 19, which, I assume, would make his report more believable to you. He did mention flies, i.e. eggs and small mayfly nymphs. Not enough? You're right, no mention of the rods used, water temp, etc. Omitting those facts seems to have the same effect on you as do round numbers...hmm?

Now...are you complaining about advertising on the DB in general? Or just those adverts that are specific? If it's allowed, why would someone generalize about his or her services?

" I have some dates...sometime in November" Is that better?

Amoeba, (fascinating nom de guerre, btw) I guess I don't get your consternation. If you're upset with some transgression of the DB rules, why not take it up with moderators? Or perhaps, you've taken it as your duty to protect us gullible types from unscrupulous guides and false advertising.

Speaking for myself, I don't need it.

Amoeba this is what I said:

"Furthermore, you are wrong about the salmon returns. Salmon returns on the feather and Yuba are up from previous years. Check the hatchery data from the feather river hatchery and counts over daguerre on the Yuba. Now if you are taking the average from a decade ago, or even two, no they are still low. Improvement is improvement though."

Pretty much exactly in line with the numbers that YCWA released earlier this week...I get those emails to when the data is released ....Still low but better than the previous years. I tend to be more opportunistic. Improvement is improvement.

Also I encourage you to stay home. There is no fish in the L. Yuba and me and Ryan totally make up all our reports. They are all lies and we are just trying to get people in our drift boats to sell them on this pyramid scheme we have along with this religous colony we are starting in Browns Valley. That feels good to get that finally, after 14 years of guiding, off my chest.
    Last edited by Hogan Brown; 10-23-2010 at 07:10 PM.