Thread: Drifting lower Sac

Default Drifting lower Sac

On our way to Bonnyview, drifting down to Anderson. Its going to be a great DAY!

You bet it is Frank! Hope your arms are in good shape.

Lots of activity on the Lower Sac today, saw more boats than fish. We ended up with 10 fish, all Rainbows. Mike hooked a big bow but it got off. Water was great, although this was my fist time on the river, I was not sure what to expect. Nice runs and with a few sweet tail water sections. I used 4 Number 1 weights to get the flies down but should have used BB size. I don’t think I was deep enough for a lot of the runs.

Love my new Switch rod, I don’t know how to spay cast yet so it was all single hand action. The ease of casting plus the incredible mending and roll casting distance was outstanding. I’m sold, Thanks Andy!

Frank

Default Split Shot

Hi Frank,

The Lower Sac is an incredible fishery. Some do not realize how strong the current can be and make the mistake of not using enough weight. It is a really moody river as well. At this point, the salmon have been late so if you have the opportunity to fish the Lower Sac again try doing so late Oct. or early Nov.! When the fish are on the bite, it becomes a feeding frenzy and the bows are mad and full of energy. They fight like Yuba Bows except tend to be consistently bigger especially when gorging on the protein rich eggs. A big mistake with many on the Lower Sac is that many do not use enough weight to get their bugs down...especially wade fishing when you need your bugs to get down fast. Although you change your weight according to current and depth, in the deeper, faster runs I use an SSG which is 1.6 grams. Focus on drifting from Posse to Bonnyview as this is where the majority of salmon will do their thing. In the shallows, if you see spawners, remove all weight and swing eggs as trout that you do not see will make themselves known. Give it a try.

Matooka
    Last edited by matooka; 10-17-2010 at 11:52 AM.

when im nymphing the lower i found 2 AAA weights works for me. havent floated the sac in awhile. the last few times out ive been wade fishing in the evening for the dry fly action while we still had the warm weather. glad you had a good time.