Encouraged by this weeks posts I took an exploratory trip up to Davis yesterday. I'm almost exclusively a stream/river fisherman so my lack of luck at the lake isn't indicative of how good/bad fishing was. Didn't get on the water until too late in the AM and blanked, but I did fish several spots along the east and north shores. Most of the float tube and 'toon set were congregated in Mosquito Slough. I spent the lunch hour eating and glassing the flotilla to see how everyone else was doing: Of the dozen or so people on the water I only saw two catching fish, a man and woman who caught 6 between them.

Needing to feel the pull of a trout on the line, we decided to head back over the hill. Stopping in Portola for gas we noticed a guide at the pump filling up his boat/truck. Bill Forward was nice enough to give us 10 minutes of his time and knowlwedge and I feel sufficiently enough informed to go back early this coming week and get into some Davis fish. Thank Bill.

We had enough time to hit the M. Feather on the drive home and found the fish extremely willing to rise to a # 8 stimi, including a real nice 18" 'bow just as it was getting almost too dark to see gthe take.

Get out there now, the fish are feasting, J.