Thread: Where in Placerville?

Default Where in Placerville?

Fished the American in Sacramento of Watt and Rossmore for a coupla' hours and el skunko. Oh well. Got some flies from Kiene's but was not applying them correctly.

So headed up to Placerville to hit the water in the morning based on q conversation I overheard and found out there is no river here - d'oh! So, nit sure what creek or creeks were giving up their bounty here. Any suggestions since I only have about 4 hours before I have to pull out.

Post here or PM, either is appreciated. Thx!

Head up (east) Hwy 50 above Placerville and you will find the South Fork of the American Rivier running on the right side of the road.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

TK, I have done well past the Ice house turn off about 1 mile up. I park on the left side, there is a turn around section there. Cross backover the hwy and hop the gard rail, and hang on, it's steep and deep down to the river. Because the access is hard, i don't think it ever get fished.

Good luck!

Frank

The South Fork American in the highway 50 canyon is still in shape with the annual October Caddis hatch underway. The river holds a great population of wild fish with some reaches more productive than others between Riverton and Kyburz. I'm always down to share info with folks interested in fishing the canyon so drop a PM or send an email.

Todd Gillihan
    West Slope Outfitters
    Ph 530.417.1218
    Email tjgillihan@gmail.com
    www.westslopeoutfitters.com

Default Thanks for the input!

Unfortunately, I just had 4 hours first thing Saturday mornin' and was unable to put your suggestions to good use.

For the American near Placerville, headed up the 193(?) to the Chili Bar area, and headed downriver a ways to the deep pool area by the big rocks - beautiful water and scenery. Got completely skunked, however - par for the course in my activities up here so far. Not even a nibble. Obviosly there are no fish in these waters up here, lol!

Fished this morning on the lower Yuba by Timbuktoo (was there until 10AM - at one point, 3 drift boats, 4 waders were on the water, excluding those from the boats - wowza - crowded!) as well as the Day Use section of the park down river a few miles. Also el skunko - wow.

Saw the darnedest thing today at that park, too (Sycamore?). Heading to the first fishing bank, before crossing to the centre island, upriver just about 40 paces, there were some quite large (20+") fish carcasses sitting on the bottom of the river about 8-10 feet offshore. I counted 8 easily. I managed to wade out to one of them, thinking they had been partially eaten by an animal, but it appeared they had been caught, their heads cut off at the gills, and thrown back into the water? WTH? Almost lost my balance at that point so headed back to shore, but no clue why someone would do such a thing - has anyone encountered this before?

Other than a few 30+" monsters coming close to me when I was wading around just to show me they thought my technique was amateurish, nothing else too exciting occurred.

Beautiful scenery, big fish, wierd voodoo-stuff, and fish not interested in the slightest in what I was tossing (salmon egg and mini-mayfly). Still a blast despite the sputtering rain.

If you come again I would get some advise here and then maybe get a guide for one day or even a half-day.

I was lucky years ago to get to fish with some veteran fly fishers when I was getting started.

Every time I am invited to fish with a local guide I always learn something too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default local advice

Bill,

Came into the shop and got advice from one of your fellows there - Andy, I believe. Bought some local flies for the various waters I was going to fish in, and he kindly provided me some suggestions and maps on where, which I followed. Just was unable to produce any results with my application of such insight, sadly.

Given my schedule this trip was dominated by client demands and not really stable, I was not able to hold any time out for committing to a guide service, but definitely agree and always try to avail myself of their expertise whenever possible and I can afford it. Given the fish I saw and what I read on these forums, I will have to make that happen up in this part of Cali in the future!
    Last edited by tk863; 10-18-2010 at 07:19 AM.
    Dč th'ort fo d'fhčileadh?
    Waters fished this year: San Gabriel NF/WF, Upper Kern, Santa Anita Ck, Lakes: Isabella, Hemet, Cahuilla, Powai (India), Pacific Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by tk863 View Post
    Saw the darnedest thing today at that park, too (Sycamore?). Heading to the first fishing bank, before crossing to the centre island, upriver just about 40 paces, there were some quite large (20+") fish carcasses sitting on the bottom of the river about 8-10 feet offshore. I counted 8 easily. I managed to wade out to one of them, thinking they had been partially eaten by an animal, but it appeared they had been caught, their heads cut off at the gills, and thrown back into the water? WTH? Almost lost my balance at that point so headed back to shore, but no clue why someone would do such a thing - has anyone encountered this before?
    What you saw was done by DFG. They run up and down the rivers here counting dead salmon. When they find one they chop the head off to take sample, check for micro chips and to make sure they don't count it again.

Quote Originally Posted by BigOkieWhiteBoy916 View Post
    What you saw was done by DFG. They run up and down the rivers here counting dead salmon. When they find one they chop the head off to take sample, check for micro chips and to make sure they don't count it again.
    Wow - Nice to know. Really gave the area by the beach a unique odor, but I can appreciate why DFG does not collect the carcasses!
    Dč th'ort fo d'fhčileadh?
    Waters fished this year: San Gabriel NF/WF, Upper Kern, Santa Anita Ck, Lakes: Isabella, Hemet, Cahuilla, Powai (India), Pacific Ocean