Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it to early for Pyramid?

Glad to hear positive reports. I fished Pyramid a couple of times a decade ago on group outings with the San Jose Flycasters but haven't been back since.

I have to give a speech in Tahoe on Friday but get a free hotel room out of the deal. Since today is my wife's birthday, I'm taking her along for some time away from the kids (who are now in their teens). We've been discussing how to spend Saturday before driving home and she's interested in fishing (she hasn't fished much in the last few years but has started getting the bug again).

Pyramid would be an interesting experience for her (and a chance to hook a bigger than average trout), but since I just started teaching her to flycast, she's not up to throwing flies there. I once spent a frustrating morning in a line up at Pyramid next to a teenager who caught more fish on a kastmaster than a whole line of flyfishers did, so I figure I will just set her up with spinning gear. Can anyone recommend specific lures for the none ffing spouse to try?

I'll be taking a 7 weight with a T-11 shooting head (light striper rig) for throwing buggers in gale force winds, a stiff 5 with a 6-wt floater for fishing on top, and a 5-wt with a multi-tip line for everything in between.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Mike-
    Maribou jigs and large spoons catch a lot of fish by the gear guys at Pyramid.

Have fun!

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

You don't need the 5 weight. If packing less is better for you leave it home. use the 7wt with woolly buggers and the 6 wt with floating line with smaller bugs like #12 copper johns or general nymphs midges etc.

Your wife can throw any type of spoon or jigs. Pixie's, a 2-3" kastmaster, black jigs bounced along the bottom will work just fine. Just pop into the crosby lodge they have plenty of spoons and jigs you can buy. They all can work. Try a frog pattern spoon. Something with green, yellow, spots on it. You know what i mean i hope as far as frog pattern. JUst get a size spoon or jig appropriate for the rod and pound test on the spinner. 3" spoons are perfect size.

Also October is a great time of year to fish pyramid. I have not been out yet but i can assure you 10 pound PLUS fish are being caught. October is the best month in the fall. Tui chubs are active in the shallows. It kinda slows down a bit as we get into late nov and december. Then it picks up nicely in late february march till it closes. Now is a great time for pyramid especially with the weather we have been having. Overcast day like today is perfect. This early fall rain and storms is ideal. Pyramid should be hot right now. I am going soon.

Good Luck have fun.

also you can fish ANYWHERE, warrior to popcorn and anywhere in between. You do not need to cluster up in a line up at the nets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Churchill View Post
    Glad to hear positive reports. I fished Pyramid a couple of times a decade ago on group outings with the San Jose Flycasters but haven't been back since.

I have to give a speech in Tahoe on Friday but get a free hotel room out of the deal. Since today is my wife's birthday, I'm taking her along for some time away from the kids (who are now in their teens). We've been discussing how to spend Saturday before driving home and she's interested in fishing (she hasn't fished much in the last few years but has started getting the bug again).

Pyramid would be an interesting experience for her (and a chance to hook a bigger than average trout), but since I just started teaching her to flycast, she's not up to throwing flies there. I once spent a frustrating morning in a line up at Pyramid next to a teenager who caught more fish on a kastmaster than a whole line of flyfishers did, so I figure I will just set her up with spinning gear. Can anyone recommend specific lures for the none ffing spouse to try?

I'll be taking a 7 weight with a T-11 shooting head (light striper rig) for throwing buggers in gale force winds, a stiff 5 with a 6-wt floater for fishing on top, and a 5-wt with a multi-tip line for everything in between.

Mike

Thank you everyone for the info, if weather permits I'm going out tomorrow to give it a try for a few hours. Hopefully I will have something to report.

Default Pyramid

Thanks for the info.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Well I went out to Pyramid today with my brother in law. We arived at about 6:30AM purchased our licenses and coffee and hit the water. We fished a few different spots but had no success. We each had a few btes mid moring at Pelican but could not get them to stick.

Fished Wolly Buggers and worms in all different colors but all of the bites came on black worms with silver flash. Weather was good for the most part but the wind kicked up and caused me to have a few line tangles. Don't know the temp of the water because I don't have a thermometer (I should get one).

Anyway I will give it another try in a few weeks and see if anything changes.

My buddies just got back from Pyramid and said the two of them fished two days and caught over 60 fish. They were fishing above Warrior. Nothing over 25"

Quote Originally Posted by catch&release View Post
    My buddies just got back from Pyramid and said the two of them fished two days and caught over 60 fish. They were fishing above Warrior. Nothing over 25"
    Boat? Shore? Tube? Ladder? Trolling?

_SHig

Yes C&R...do tell...cause though that is quite the 2 day trip no matter what...it's a record trip from shore for most books.

My Brother in Law and I went to Pyramid yesterday morinig and we fished from about first light till 11 and we had a bunch of bites but only were able to manage 3. It was his first fish on a fly and now he can't wait to get back there. He lives 20 minutes away from Pyramid and I live about an hour away. He is the one in the first picture. It actually turned out to be a blue bird type day. Warmed up after about 9 and hardly any clouds or wind.