Thread: The Pit

Default The Pit

Gearing up for our tri-annual trip to the Pit this weekend. Of course it will be incredible fishing as usual.

However, I was just thinking about how different the Pit is compared to the other rivers in CA or anywhere, actually. I've fished 100's of places and have never seen a river like it. The most defining charateristic is not the amazing #'s of fish, or bugs, or lack of people, but the actual river bottom itself!

In my experience, there is no river that has such a unique wading experience as the Pit. Those of you who have fished it, know what I mean. Even though I've fished it many many times, I still come away thinking how unique it is (and how sore I am after).

So....here's the question. Anyone know of a river (CA or elsewhere) that is similar to the Pit. The only one I can come up with that is only vaguely similar in some spots is the remote canyon section of the Calaveras.

Hey Fisher! Hope you and EDawg slay em' as usual. Maybe this time you'll school Eric high sticking.

Default Oregon

The only one I can think of is the Crooked river in Oregon but it is not as deep as the pit. It has the big/slippery boulders and no visability but rarley does it go higher than waders. I usually have sore shins and get wet at both places! Let us know how it goes

Can't think of another river like the Pit.
    I got some kids soccer shin guards for it (worn inside waders).
    And, don't forget your staff.
    Too me, whats tuff about that water, is the likely-hood of not being able to chase Walter if you do hook up.
    You just do the queens wave. LATER!

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 10-16-2010 at 10:10 AM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

My brother Dick, myself and some special old friends have fished the Pit River for about 40 years.

It gets in your blood.

It will probably never be crowded because the wading is very difficult, it has poison oak and most don't understand the river.

When I first saw the movie, "A River Runs Through it", I thought of my brother and I fishing on the Pit River.

We like to fish it around June and again from mid-September through October.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I still have dreams about the sections I fished (James B Black PH and the reach above Big Bend.. 3.. I think?) Tough, tough, fishing, but watching the rainbows rising makes your blood boil, in a good way.
    I'm still in awe of the fish that schooled me just above the PH.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.