Thread: E Walker: 10.10.10

Default E Walker: 10.10.10

Fished the East Walker at 8:30a Sunday morning. And it was slow with only a few dinks and pan-sized up to 10 inches. BUT I managed one 17" big brownie that made my morning. (Photo to come.)

A local report from Casa Michaela restaurant, has some reliable guy reporting 8 browns over 18 inches on a high-sticked local ____ Punk fly on Sat. That ___ Punk fly, sold at the marina, is a super-shaggy white or yellowish crystal bugger. Beadless. I tried it. Nada. But my little zebra did the trick.

I think the east walker is one of those rivers where you can't go small enough. Start with 20's and go smaller as needed. Seems to be my experience there for what its worth.

The East Walker has many faces. I was on the river at the end of last week and small flies were not the answer. Midges do work but there are other answers. Buggers and baitfish imitations will also produce fish, sometimes big fish. I try not to go too small as the hooks on smaller flies tend to straighten out on the big boys. Besides it is difficult to thread 3X material through size 22s.
    If you go to the Walker talk to the good people at Kienes, the sponsor of this message board, or visit Ken's Sporting Goods in Bridgeport as they are the people who know and can help you.

Thanks
    Dan

I was on the Nevada side Friday and we did OK on nymphs and talked to a couple of guys that were doing well on streamers. The flows were 140 that day, 110 on Sunday and as I write this, they are at 79. I am going tomorrow and it will be a totally different river than Friday.

Default .east walker

just got back from a week on the E. Walker, hopper dropper seems to always produce, more rainbows then browns which is a change from how we normally do. Switched to a heavily weighted Clouser for the deeper holes and was rewarded with some heavy browns. A great week weather wise had the single malt held out it would have been perfect.

I just got back as well. We too had some rainbows show up. Bite was tough, lots of people. Still a good trip.

Last post reminds me...picture of brown still yet to come? Love those brownies.
    RFT

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I just got back as well. We too had some rainbows show up. Bite was tough, lots of people. Still a good trip.
    Hey Jay,

Your trip/blog cracked me up. I have also done the "forget the map" game only
    to realize I wish I had it. Ended up bush whacking. Brutal.

But, that type of situation sure does make you plan the next trip better!

Eric

Thanks Eric. I'm still kicking myself for that one. Yet another season gone by without making up to that lake...