Thread: Middle Rogue Steelhead

Default Middle Rogue Steelhead

The salmon have moved into the middle Rogue at Grants Pass. This afternoon on a cloudy day hooked & lost a fish of about 22" and then caught & released this pretty 18" fish on my trusty beadhead.

Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

Is that fly hooked on the outside of the face?

Nice fish, Gordon.

I have a question, I hope you don't mind: What is the turbidity on the middle river like recently?

The USGS measurements at GP seem to swing between 5 and 10 FNU, but I don't really have a good feel for how FNU translates into feet of visibility. I have a friend who is down on the lower middle, and he reports that the river is more turbid than in years past ("Can't see my feet wading crotch deep"), but based on his distance from GP, I don't know if he is fishing at 5 FNU or 10 FNU.

I understand that work at Gold Ray is still continuing (perhaps on a particular schedule?)

Any elaboration from a "local" would be appreciated.

tim

Wjorg, I think I can see the hook coming out just under the back of the eye so I don't think so.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Middle Rogue clarity is measured in NTU's. Normally in the fall it is from 1-3 NTU's. Work continues on the Gold Ray site and they predict they will be done by the end of next week. Some days the NTU level goes to 11. Think about 8 it is tough to fish. Having said all that went this AM and the Rogue was very clear. Hooked and lost a huge steelhead of about 32" that I had almost to the shore and the hook pulled out.
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Langenbeck View Post
    Middle Rogue clarity is measured in NTU's. Normally in the fall it is from 1-3 NTU's. Work continues on the Gold Ray site and they predict they will be done by the end of next week. Some days the NTU level goes to 11. Think about 8 it is tough to fish. Having said all that went this AM and the Rogue was very clear. Hooked and lost a huge steelhead of about 32" that I had almost to the shore and the hook pulled out.
    Thanks for the info.

I mentioned FRU instead of NTU because that is how the USGS graph was labeled. (Might be the same in this case because the same graph mentions a detection angle of 90 degrees.)

tim