Thread: More fall run salmon this year?

Default More fall run salmon this year?

I have heard more reports of locals seeing more salmon this fall than we have had in the past few years?

I see where the Lower American and Lower Feather Rivers are getting more fish.

I think someone reported them on the Lower Yuba River too.

What have you seen or heard?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Fall salmon run

The fall run on the Sac. is worse than last year. I talk to the fish counters occasionally in the back yard and they comfirm the dismal year. The good news is this year the season will open for a longer period. Where is the wisdom in that?

The returns on L. Sac do seem pretty bad from what I have seen in the upper river. I will say though the feather and yuba have more salmon in them than I have seen in years. The feather and Yuba are packed with fish and more are coming in from what I can tell.

The Rogue has more salmon than last year.

The salmon could be extinct in our lifetime. Leave them alone on the CV rivers. Im almost at the point where I consider the guides fishing on these salmon to be parasites. Im sure Id do the same thing if I had mouths to feed, but it would have been wiser to leave the season closed.

Look whats happening to the feather, 8 guys walking through the redds snaggin salmon, hooking resident rainbows looking for the occasional steelhead.

My buddy got a 5 pounder a few days ago, it has both eggs and sperm inside! I applauded his killing of the hatchery hermaphrodite.

I've been seeing a lot of salmon on the A this year than last.
    www.calfish.net. Catch & release for my kids & yours.www.calsport.org.

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg View Post
    The salmon could be extinct in our lifetime. Leave them alone on the CV rivers. Im almost at the point where I consider the guides fishing on these salmon to be parasites. Im sure Id do the same thing if I had mouths to feed, but it would have been wiser to leave the season closed.
    Maybe but wehn the last salmon is caght the mouthes will still be their. Better too let the poplation reabond?

I often spend lunch at the foot bridge near sunrise to enjoy nature, and it is real neat to watch the salmon jumping and swimming about. I hope they continue to be here.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

The fall run on most CV rivers was better than last year but by no means great. The good news is that there were high numbers of jack salmon (two year olds) in many rivers which shows that survival was good of this brood year. With the bulk of CV fall run returning as three years olds we may see a greatly improved run next year.

http://www.redding.com/news/2010/nov...-battle-creek/

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/201...4/18663114.php

Marc P.

Default some news propaganda - but overall - fair at best

Not to spread rumors - but based on what IS known (so far):

What we're looking at is better than the last 2 yrs - but likely end up at 25-30% at best of the long term average. Probably not that much. I would say 20%.

I'm not sure what's with the hatchery return news-media thing the last few days (and in today's Sac Bee). That's not the river. Battle Creek is not the lower Sacramento River.

In river escapement remains far below average. I would give it another couple years of better ocean conditions. That with some of the habitat projects (like the spawning gravels at Sailor Bar, on the AR) might do something to natural production.

Keep fingers crossed. But there are still major problems with the salmon runs.