Thread: Sink Tips for the Rogue

Default Sink Tips for the Rogue

Hey Guys:

I am heading to the Rogue this weekend to break in my 11' 7wt TFO switch rod. It is loaded with a 9wt Rio Steelhead/Salmon floating line (manufacturer's recomendation) and I have been told to bring "a variety of sink tips." Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should bring? Thanks very much. -Rob
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -A. Einstein.

not sure what line you have to throw tips with but I would recommend a skagit line and a variety of either T-8 or T-11 tips (depending on fly sizes you will be casting) ranging in length: 6', 8', 10' and 12' - might want to have a 15' tip just in case but could be tough on the switch.

Default floating

Ifished the Rogue two weeks ago floating line floating poly 4 feet of 6-8 lb maxima
    two 7 lb steelhead. Early season the still look up. Dale lackey flies

If you are intent on throwing tips on that line poly leaders work ok. Ideally a skagit or skandi would make life a lot easier for turning over anything heavy.

Rob...."Bring a variety of sink tips" is a standard recommendation. You can go to any fly shop and tell the clerk that is what you want and get about $50-$70 worth of tips that range from floating to fast sink. They even come in different lengths (8, 10, 12, and 15 ft). With a rod like yours I wouldn't go longer than 10ft.

Having said that I suggest that unless you want to spend the money for later in the year (when you absolutely will need them) given the current low, clear water conditions (I was up there last week) I would forget the Versi-leaders and go with only a long 12-15 ft., plain tapered trout leader 0x or 1x, 10-12 ft long. You can swing that rig directly on the surface with a waking fly or go down a little with a small size 8 or 6 sparsely tied steelhead fly. To make it even more exciting tie a size 10 BH Copper John dropper to the bend of the point fly. The rig is easy to throw and very effective. I know this advice runs counter to what some of the other folks have offered but what they have given you is good advice for fishing a BC river in mid winter, not the Rogue at low, clear summer flows. Good luck up there.......Anne
    "So it goes"