Thread: Trinity Help

Default Trinity Help

Going to the Trinty next week for a few days and looking for some help. What is a good line for swinging? I have a Galloup streamer line, T150, Rio Vera-tip and various lenths of heads I made to attach to a floating line. Do Steelhead like any action to flies or just a dead drift?
    I think I have the skills to be successful but not much experience with fishing the Trinity. I may start out bobbercating to get a fishing under my belt and then switch to swinging. I hear that traditional Steelhead flies work and maybe size down to a 10. I appreciate any help you can offer here or offline in a pm.

Thanks,

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

check with the fly shop in redding or trinity fly shop. they can give you all the line, fly and tactic info you need. have fun over there.

Default Trinity

Hey Jet,
    If possible, keep your options open. After your research, if you learn the T isn't up to snuff, the Klamath might be a good choice. Just an idea.

read that there is a decent amount of half pounders in the middle and lower klamath but not a lot of adults yet.

Almost any #6.7/8 floating line will work for swinging flies but a Rio Steelhead is best.

Fish hard early and late in the day when the sun is off the water.

Make a cast down and across, let the fly swing all the way in and then move down stream 2 to 4 steps.

When the sun is on the water you can swing with a short sink-tip line or add a Poly/Versi leader to your floater.

If you have a Versitip line then use a floating tip in the morning and evening or the clear slow sinking tip if you don't have the floating tip.

Mid-day use a type 3, 10-15' sink-tip.

We use a dark fly (#6 Silver Hilton ) early and late on a floating line in the Klamath and Trinity if the water is over 50 degrees.

Use a 9' 1X leader.

If it is over cast or if you find runs in the shade in the day time continue to use a floating line and swing flies.

Mid-day with sun on the water you can indicator fish in the deeper, fast water too.

I would fish from the mouth of the South Fork downstream this time of year.

If it is warm and sunny then very early is the big deal.

If you get overcast with some weather you can swing all day long.

I think the Klamath and Trinity rivers are barbless.

Have a steelhead punch card.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks for the info Bill!
    Heading out in morning... Will let you know how we do.

Thanks,

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author