Thread: Pit River access and test flows Oct 4- 14th

Default Pit River access and test flows Oct 4- 14th

Access on the Pit River continues to be an issue with Pit 3 open on occasion and closed most others. Recent reports indicate the road will be closed until construction is completed, at least through October :>(. Road closures in between reaches also makes it difficult to move from one stretch to another, call 406-586-2206 ext. 703 for the latest closures. Flows are also higher this year so some familiar river crossings are not possible though with recent reports of some exceptional days we are not hearing much in the way of complaints.

We've just received notice from PG&E that they plan to run some test flows on the Pit 4 & 5 reaches from October 4th through the 14th. Might be best to avoid it as flows on Pit 5 are expected to vary between 220 cfs and 450 cfs with flows on Pit 4 being more of an issue with flows as low as 220 cfs moving all the way up to a high of 1370 cfs on October 7th.
    Craig Nielsen

"Test Flows" equals seeing if the river can handle the flows associated with filling up an raising Lake Shasta?

Default Pit River "Test" flows

wjorg:
    The gentlemen who called us from PG&E regarding the Pit said test flows were being used to "test" the new equipment they have installed on the dams. I suggested it was certainly not good timing for anglers, let alone the critters who live there ;>(.
    Craig Nielsen

Default Pit Test Flows

Thanks for the great reports and updates Craig. I use Dreamflows to keep updated on the flows for the Pit, is there another site you use? Also, have you been down to the old school house pad lately, can you still drive in there? It makes for a great camping spot. Great article on the Klamath!

I have waded and caught lots of fish on Pitt 4 at 500-600 cfs. I find this 150-200 cfs low and lame and can't wait for the new license flows to come into effect. As far as effects on biota, and the eqpmnt being tested, my understanding is that the equipment is associated with the increased flow releases for the new license - which are for fish. The fishing may be more difficult; but the results (more fish, lower fishing pressure, more catching) will be worth it. There will be effects, but likely not much more than (or much earlier than) normal early storm peak flows from local runoff. No biggie.

I can pinch the top of my waders or wet wade and everyone else can stay home or go elsewhere. If not, I'll see you there.

Default Pit 5 access

Wetwade:
    Dreamflows is the gauge I have used for the Pit as well. I have not been into Pit 5 at the Schoolhouse but have had reports from other guides I work with that access is available both from Hwy 299 and Ash Camp.
    Glad to hear the posts have been helpful. Do drop a line if you head this way, always pleased to share all I can.
    Craig Nielsen