Thread: Winnemucca Lake

Default Winnemucca Lake

Kathy "my wife" wanted to hang out with me today and I wanted to go fishing. So I talked her into going on a hike, in 16 years together this was the 2nd time she went with me. So we headed to Woods Lake and hiked up to Winnemucca, the hike is 2.5 miles in but it is pretty much up hill the whole way. So we took our time since she is not use to the climb or the elevation. The weather started off nice but as soon as we got to the lake, about 8:30 the wind started. And it was a cold wind, but not that bad. As Kathy decided to take a nap I hit the water in my float tube. The water was really cold, clearer than anything I have seen before and super deep. When you are about 20 to 50 feet away from the shore the lake drops straight down, my guess would be well over 100 feet deep. I could see clear down to rocks at about 60+ feet it was beautiful. I got 2 nice brookies, the colors on these fish were beautiful. I have been wanting to fish this lake from a float tube and I can say it is off my list, but I will go back next spring.

We are going to look for a real backpack for her now, she didn't like her chair pack thing.

Had the whole lake to myself, gotta love hike in lakes!!!

So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Nice job Scotty.

Look at the edges on those fins!

Beautiful fish.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Nice! I'm itching to get walking again. Got some more gear so I'm almost set up to go overnight now!

Have you weighed the U-Boat yet? And did Kathy wear real shoes this time? Looks like it from the photo...

_SHig

Sweet! Nice looking brookies. Really like the picture of the tree. Looks really tall judging by the picture. . . you see something like that and you wonder how old it is.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Scott I kid you not that tree looks very similar to one I saw in desolation wilderness this year. Maybe I'll look for one of the pics I got of it cause when I saw your photo I did a big double take and then realized that wow, this type of tree must be more common than I originally thought.

Here is a photo at the base of the tree.

This shot is from the trees bad side but you get the idea.

That lake have browns in it? I bet if it does that they like to stay reeeeaaally deep.

Thumbs up Old Trees....

Tree photo's are really great. Amazing how those twisted, weathered trees look. Too much time outdoors at altitude.... Thanks for sharing, both of you.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Those brookies make a nice photo....great post....Scott you need to take Kathy to REI for a new back pack chair.

Quote Originally Posted by gene goss View Post
    Those brookies make a nice photo....great post....Scott you need to take Kathy to REI for a new back pack chair.
    Gene, we are actually getting her a real backpack so she can go with me more often. I want to get her into doing some overnites with me next year and she sounds like she really wants to do it.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Gene, we are actually getting her a real backpack so she can go with me more often. I want to get her into doing some overnites with me next year and she sounds like she really wants to do it.

I brought some walking sticks for Susan and myself....and REI had a class on how to use them....they are great for backpacking or hiking on over uneven ground....your welcome to borrow ours and give them a try.