Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the fanny bridge trout?

Default What happened to the fanny bridge trout?

Took the inlaws from Florida on a driving/walking tour of North Shore. Stopped at fanny bridge to see... a whopping half dozen fish. What happend to the hundreds that used to be in there?! Poaching?
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterrunRon View Post
    Took the inlaws from Florida on a driving/walking tour of North Shore. Stopped at fanny bridge to see... a whopping half dozen fish. What happend to the hundreds that used to be in there?! Poaching?
    I assume you're refering to the bridge in Tahoe City that crosses the Truckee River as it runs out of Lake Tahoe..... Geeze, if you only saw 6 trout..... I would be very sad to hear that they were poached or met their demise some other way. I was hoping to show the fish to my kids in a couple of weeks when we'll take a drive up and see the fall colors and breath that crisp fresh air, etc.

I used to love to go see all those big beautiful trout as a kid..... What is going on?! Regardless of what happened, it's sad that there are only 6 fish by the bridge.

Rumor has it that some of them got spoiled when they were fed white mice dropped from the bridge...must have sent them downstream looking for more.

What was the water level and air temp? If the flows out of the lake get reduced and the water in that pool warms up, they take off looking for colder water that contains more O2.

Paul

Unhappy Fanny Bridge....

Doesn't that area of the Truckee almost become de-watered periodocally due to severe low water conditions and no flow from Tahoe Of course, with the wet winter/spring we just experienced maybe the opposite (too much water) is the case. Either way, sounds like they may've re-located downstream....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Very interesting…..it would be great to find out where they swam off to. Might be time to Hunt for the Red October!

There doesn't appear to be anything 'written up' about the "missing" trout from under Fanny Bridge. Therefore, I surmise the fish left the area on their own OR worse, they were poached and with the lack of DFG resources, nobody in law enforcement realizes they were poached.....

BTW, anybody know if they head off to different areas downriver to actually spawn? Talk about a load of broodstock.....

Low flows, O2, temps, all figure.
    Fish pellet feeding has dropped off with lower tourist flows too.
    Saw them disappear once before. That time, it seemed to coincide with the stocking of the cutties down stream.
    As suggested, the tough economy has people catching fish, and eating'em!
    But it would be a daring move, given the fish's popularity, and the fine.
    Can't imagine the flavor being that good anyway. Not exactly bug feeders.

It is definitely that time, to hunt subs though.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 09-30-2010 at 10:37 AM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

When the lake gets below a certain level, they open the dam wide open and it no longer serves as a dam. Now a days, as I drive by, I can see right through the gates and see the morning sun on lake tahoe. All gates open. Nothing to stop a fish from going upstream into big blue.

I would guess that there is another food source downstream or the conditions aren't ideal right now. It has been pretty warm. They may seem tame, but they are free to leave. maybe right now would a be a good time to fish the Truckee

Default The truth about Fanny Bridge trout

They got crushed by a guy flipping out. Here's the video http://biggeekdad.com/2010/08/river-rope-swing/