Thread: Sac fishing report 9/22-9/23

Default Sac fishing report 9/22-9/23

Brother and I took a quick fishing trip up to the Redding area this week.
    On Wednesday we drifted the Lower Sac with Shane K from The Fly Shop. I've known Shane since we lived in Redding 10 years ago, but had never really fished with him. Still, I had promised my brother good fishing so I made sure I got Shane. He did a hell of a job instructing my brother on how to fish the big bobicator rigs and getting him on fish. He had a great day, boated 20+ fish and lost probably more. I had a decent day as well.
    Excitement for the day was non-fish related though. As we were drifting near Redcliff Dr we heard some yelling and spotted a kid half-way down the cliff face. He was screaming that he was scared and "didn't want to die." After determining that he wasn't yanking our chain Shane called 911. Couple minutes later and the CHP chopper was plucking him off the cliff.

The next day we headed up to wade the upper Sac. Shane had told us that he had been catching large fish on ridiculously large hoppers and gave us a few places to try. Well, we were a bit tired from the drive up and all the fishing (and dinner and beers at Jacks) the day before and got a late start. When we got down to the water we found someone beat us to the spot. He apparently had a great morning and caught a ton of large fish. He was heading up to our second spot as he drove off. So we worked some water upstream. I caught a few really nice fish, but not on dries. Brother got skunked. So after lunch I brought him up to my money spot. Finally got him on some fish. I had a great day and probably had close to 20 to hand.
    Sadly we had to return home that night as he flew back to Texas Friday am. Still, was a great trip.

Good to hear you both had a good day up there. That cliff is literally a killer. I watched a body recover from a jumper while floating that stretch two years ago. According to the guys on the Redding FD jet boat, they get several a year in the same place. It's good you were they to help save this poor guy!

Steve

Very nice!! That first fish is missing a few spots Looks like a pyramid cut.