Thread: silver fork area fire restrictions ?

Default silver fork area fire restrictions ?

Taking a group of total newbies to the silver fork this weekend. Anyone know what the current fire restrictions are for dispersed camping along the river ? Hows the flow and water temp ? I haven't been there since early august. Thanks for any help.

troutbm

Did you ever find out what the restrictions were? I would assume you could call the forrest service to find out. I may be going in a couple weeks so let us know how it goes.
    Thanks.
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Most, if not all of the dispersed sites that I used for years have been closed off by boulders to keep vehicles out, you can still pack your stuff down to the river though. I'm assuming that standard National Forest fire regs apply, make sure you have your permit and you should be fine. a quick call to the Forest Service should confirm that.

Troutbm,
    Although it is to late to reply to you, troutbm, I'm posting this so other reader will have this information. Much of the land in the Sierra mountains belongs to and is owned by Sierra Pacific Industries. Camping, for the most part, is not allowed. Please make sure that if you set up camp that it is on U.S. Forest Service land. As for camp fire regs., check with the Forest Service.
    Also for your information, deer season in the area is Sept 25 thru Oct 31.

Thanks
    Dan

Default Silver Fork camping

Hey Troutbum:

Hope you had a good trip with your newbies. A big reason a lot of the non-official campgrounds have been blocked, is both private land issues and FIRE. There are two pretty nice USFS campgrounds along Silver Fork, with fire rings, etc. The cost is higher than free camping, but the $16.00/ night sure beats accidentally having a fire get away. In fact ,relative to fire fighting, it is dirt cheap. Certainly worth thinking about. It's a beautiful area and we all should do all we can to keep it that way.

Thanks for listening,

Kent E

The fire restrictions for the area along silver fork road is your just required to have an axe, shovel, and bucket. Other then that theres no restrictions. I think thats the only place I've ever noticed that forest service sign. All restrictions for eldorado national forest are scheduled to cease on oct. 6th. The river is in good shape. Fished extremely well on sat. but really took a dump on sunday, I'll blame the heat for that. Area was almost void of people except for a few hunters. The silver fork campground is now closed for the year.

Thanks troutbm I appreciate the info. I will probably go next week some time and knowing the campground is closed and restrictions help me get ready.
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh