Thread: Going to Morrison's Lodge on the Rogue River

Default Going to Morrison's Lodge on the Rogue River

http://www.morrisonslodge.com/

We are driving up from Sacramento on September 27th to stay for 4 days at the famous old Morrison's Lodge on the banks of the Rogue River.

Over the years I have had tons of customers who go there every fall and I am finally going to get there.

Terry Thomas took a small group there last fall and gave it all thumbs up.

They have a Swiss Chef with excellent food too.

They have a good group of drift boat guides who can handle any level of fly fishers from beginners to experts.

For around $1,500 you get 4 days of meals and lodging and 3 days of drift boat guiding on the Rogue River. This is double occupancy pricing.

I think lots of our staff will be going this fall.

Head guide Zac tells us that October is generally their top month for fly fishing for Steelhead.

I will be using a 12'6" #5 Spey rod myself but single hand rods would just fine.

** I have been fly fishing for Steelhead for 45 years and have fish many different rivers. If you need help planning a trip with or without guides we can help you plan it.

Our entire staff are long time steelheaders. We use mostly classic methods swinging flies with single-hand rods but now mostly two-handed/Spey and Switch rods.

For us we don't need to catch every Steelhead in the river, just the ones who want to get it on and take a moving fly. These are the fish that run and jump making Steelheading famous.

**After you are catching 10 to 20 steelhead a day in the Upper Trinity River in November/December on indicators and nymphs it's time to move on to swinging flies on a floating line in Sept/Oct.

http://www.kiene.com/articles/indica...steelhead.shtm
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Looks real nice to me, have fun and enjoy the relaxing time.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Hope you have a good time Bill.

And fyi, rarely do you get 10-20 a day on the upper Trinity, even with indicators. Are you on a mission to pack that river or something?

"I will be using a 12'6" #5 Spey rod myself but single hand rods would just fine."

Should be great for any halfpounders if they are up that far.

You could have your butt handed to you by some of the Steelhead in the River this time of the year with a 5 wt rod. Use a tippet that you break off if a horse grabs your fly.

You might want to take a short Switch rod to fish from the boat.

Have fun. When the weather is good like they are predicting, this is a wonderful time to be on that part of the Rogue.

Default Rogue

I'm headed to the Rogue (Grants Pass area) in two weeks to swing for steelies with 12'6" and 13'6" spey rods. I've never been to the area and unfortunately will not have a guide. With all the parks along that river, I'm counting on them (at least a couple of them anyway) on provideing some decent access for a fisherman on foot. Am I wrong? Any advice would be appreciated?

Thanks,
    Ote

Oteman: Streamtime makes a map of the Rogue--it shows lots of areas with access for guys wading--you could also call Will Johnson at the Ashland Fly shop 541-488-6454--he's very helpful--good luck
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -A. Einstein.

Oteman

I think you can park at Tuvel Park and walk-n-wade downstream from that side of the river a ways.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks fellas!

Ote