Thread: Duckling fly???

Default Duckling fly???

Anyone ever tried one? I just did, and total failure. I can't find a pattern, head and feet are the problems.
    Itchin' for a fishin'

Question Ducklings....

If you're trying to fish a duckling pattern at this time of year, you're a bit late. Generally, hatchlings are available in the spring. So, you're too late to match the hatch (so to speak).

Something that might work is to throw a bunch of deer hair at the hook, the bulkier the better. Trim it to an approximate profile/shape and go to town. IMHO, a very good alternative would be a KD Mat Rat very lightly weighted. As good a fly for your purpose as any.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

It would be for spring fishing. I'm thinking of making the neck/head separately from the body, maybe using bucktail, and attach it after the first trim. Not that the head would serve any real purpose, but just to do it. I also wanted to put some sort of light elastic band or something on the front of the legs, that would make the legs "paddle" when the fly was stripped, then go back when paused.

So many possibilities, and i'm sure it won't look pretty.
    Itchin' for a fishin'

Thumbs up Duckling....

I guess pretty isn't really a requirement. I like the idea about the legs paddling. You're right about being creative. How about a photo of the final product Fun stuff!!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Well, if you don't get a photo, you can guess how it went.......
    Itchin' for a fishin'