Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide for the Rogue

Default Guide for the Rogue

Hey Guys: I'm planning a trip up to the Rogue in late October and am looking for guide. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks very much. -Rob
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -A. Einstein.

Default Rogue Guide

Tom April is an excellent choice...(760) 914-0313

Buying 4 license from now on via Clarkston, WA

There is a fly shop in Ashland that can hook you up. Great little place.

Pretty easy float on the upper stretch if you have a toona!

But, for the love of god, be careful about rattlesnake. That sucker eats boats. I know from experience

saved the boat and gear though, so it was an empty bite!

me
    Not unless round's funny!?!

Todd Ostenson of Trophy Waters Fly Shop in Medford. He is a serious guide that works extremely hard to put you on fish. I have fished with him a couple of times during the first week of November. Contact at (541) 734-2278.

Sorry for the rant, and no offense intended here (other than to Todd), but I would rather get raped in prison than spend the day with anyone associated with Trophy Waters on the river. There are lots of great guides on the Rogue; none of which are Todd. He used to own a shop in Klamath Falls, and the bad taste of that still can't be washed away--even by the algae-laden waters of Upper Klamath Lake. Personally, I'd take my chances running Rattlesnake in an intertube with a six year old girl's water wings before I shared a drift boat with Todd. But that's just me.
    Last edited by bubzilla; 09-20-2010 at 09:28 PM.

I fished that part of the Rogue a couple of years back and the guide dropped me off above the rapids and picked me up below in calmer waters. After watching him go through there, I was kind of glad I walked. The guide was adamant walking around that area.

I do not know if you can still walk around that area as a new house was being constructed at that spot.

Jon Hazlett is a very good guide in southern Oregon

http://www.confluenceoutfitters.com/guidebios/jh.htm
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. We ended up contacting the Ashland Fly Shop and they have set us up. The owner, Tim, is going to meet us on the river in the afternoon the day before to show us some spots and some of the local techniques. We were going to stay at Morrison's--place looks great--but they were booked. Anyway, we'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again. -Rob
    -A. Einstein.

Are you sure you don't mean Will?
    No surprise that he would volunteer to meet you on the river. He's a pretty cool dude that really likes to help people out.
    Good luck up there.
    patrick

Thanks pm--you are correct, it's Will Johnson of the Ashland Fly Shop 541-488-6454. Seems like a really nice guy. I'll let ya know how it goes. -Rob
    -A. Einstein.