Thread: Klamath Above Copco

Default Klamath Above Copco

Looking for any tips on what to expect fishing the Klamath above Copco reservoir next week. Water conditions, tips, lines, flies. Would really appreciate any help for this Klamath virgin.

Default Roe outfitters

Try Roe Outfitters in Keno Oregon. I've spoken with them over the phone, very helpful.

http://www.roeoutfitters.com/home76/home-page

Default Hint on Klamath

Thanks Lynn for the heads up. Great to hear from a San Ramon guy. I moved from there 5 years ago.

I’ve fished up there a few times as my in laws have a place on Copco. There are different access gates up from the lake, 1-6, and so on up to the Oregon border. You can’t really get through the thick berry bushes so you have to access the river at one of those gates. Also there is a large working cattle ranch along the river so I’m assuming it is mostly private property. The fishing is very good as it gets little pressure. I’ve done well on princes, p.t.'s etc. The streamer fishing is very good as well. I’m not sure what releases are for this time of year on the river, but beware that the river usually comes up in the afternoons and drops back down towards the evening. I’ve only been able to fish it in the mornings because of this. Good luck…
    www.gilligansguideservice.com
    www.gilligansguideservice.blogspot.com

Default Thanks for info

Thanks Gilligan. I am learning more each day. I will check out those websites.

Default Water temps above Copco?

Thumb:
    You might consider taking a thermometer and check temps before you fish. Current temps below Irongate have just dropped to sixty five degrees, at the margin for safely practicing catch and release for wild Rainbow Trout. Temps were above seventy just a few weeks ago.
    Craig Nielsen

Default Water Levels

One last thing to be aware of. The water level above Copco can go up suddenly. I mean suddenly. If you are wading aggressively this could get you into trouble. Also if you are on the far side of the Klamath when the water rises you are in for a long walk either up stream or down stream to a bridge to cross the river. I've had success with buggy nymphs. I'm curious about leeches. I once fished there when the water was very low and noticed a huge leech. Never tried one, but it might be a good option.
    East Bay Ed