Thread: Blackberries are ripe on many streams.....

Default Blackberries are ripe on many streams.....

Heard the blackberries were ripe on the Upper Sacramento River.

In September you can find berries, apples and wild grapes along the cooler banks of many trout and Steelhead streams in the Northwest.

Up on the Oregon coast we eat 3 different kinds of berries in September on some of the coastal streams.

Dungeness crabs should be in the bays and tide waters of the coastal river too.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

About 25 years ago Joe Shirshac and I spent a few weeks on the Klamath River around Orleans in Joe's trailer on fall. Joe always knows some place to stop and pick wormy apples from a deserted property. The last day we filled the ice chest with small wild blue grapes growing along the Klamath.

A month later we went back up with the trailer to the Trinity River. Joe and his wife had made grape jelly with those little grapes and we had it on our peanut butter sandwiches and on our hot cakes.

That's really living.............
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Blackberry Pie, Crabs and Clams

Nothing like fresh Dungeness boiled in sea water on the beach. I want a time machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crabs at Samish Is..jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	2042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clamming at Samish Is..jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	2043  
    Last edited by KD; 09-02-2010 at 06:19 PM.

When Kathy and I went to Winchester Bay we walked along the south Umpqua and picked wild berries. They were the best berries I have had in my life. We were there in August, I believe it was the coastal fog that rolled in that caused the berries to be so good. I can't express how good they were, it was truly orgasmic, I know it sounds weird but it was probably the best thing I have ever ate and we ate a lot. Brought home enough to give my mom some and we still ate them for about another month.

So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene View Post
    Here the black berries were ripe on the Upper Sacramento River.
    Dear Mr Kiene, the upper sac absolutely has a plethora of tasty berries. One thing that most do not think about, only pick berries ABOVE waste level.

Mount Shasta, at least in the past, had vast strawberry fields. Not sure how many remain.

I'll bite.... what's wrong with below waist level berries?? Do they get extra 'flavor' that we should avoid?? The ones on the trinity weren't bad last weekend. My little girl shovelled them in by the handful.

Scott, my brother said something about oregon berries too.... like you could smell them from the road is how good they were....
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jgoding View Post
    I'll bite.... what's wrong with below waist level berries?? Do they get extra 'flavor' that we should avoid?? The ones on the trinity weren't bad last weekend. My little girl shovelled them in by the handful.

Scott, my brother said something about oregon berries too.... like you could smell them from the road is how good they were....

Berries below the waist line have probably been pee'd on by animals and sometimes people. That is what I have been told.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default Best CA black berries

Bill, great timing. I was just talking to the kids and wife about finding some berries to pick.

Check out the berry patch at the launch ramp on Lake Britton in Burney Falls State park. These things are too big for pancakes. As big around as your thumb and just as long. Wow.

Great thimble berry and current year here in the Sierra. Goose berries where you can find them before the bears. I had a good raspberry crop in my yard for the first time.

Dick White
    Tahoma Meadows.

When I was fishing Shad about a month ago above Sunrise I ran into a man and wife who were picking blackberries on the Lower American River.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Talking Figs too!

Don't forget the figs! About a month ago my 9-yr-old son and I were on the Feather for Salmon. It was hot, lunch time, and in our haste to get on the water early, we omitted the lunch. Since we weren't catching any salmon,we took a walk through the Bobolaine Wildlife Sanctuary, above Nicholaus and enjoyed wild grapes, blackberries, and beautiful, purplish figs. Ben had quite a fear of the peculiar lookig fruit, but after he bit into one, he was hooked! We chowed on them all and our stomachs were full! Oh... and we didn't catch a salmon.
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.