Thread: magnetic car top rod holder

Default magnetic car top rod holder

im looking at getting one of these and wanted to know if anyone has personal experience with any of them. ive been looking at the kwik catch and the tight line brands. im leaning more towards the tight line because it holds more rods and can hold conventional rods as well. just wanted to hear some likes and dislikes from people that have these.

I have used the Tight Lines one for over 7 years. It stays on my truck pretty much year around. It's great and I would recommend it highly. I will purchase another one when it finally dies. It still has original foam and white bungie cord.

The newer models (as of a couple years ago) have an improved attachment for the magnet, they're no longer only glued in, but wrapped with a rubber wrap, too.

The company has great customer service.

I have had it fly off only twice in hundreds of days driving, and it was my fault for using the rack under the conditions... Once it was blowing 50mph sideways and I had 5 fully rigged rods on it. Another time it was windy and also raining hard... we had 4 fully rigged steelhead rigs and Spey rods etc. Otherwise, lets just say I don't always drive 55 mph and have never had a problem with it coming off.

If you are careful and remove it straight up and not drag it, it will take a while to scratch the paint. For me, small scratches are a small price to pay to have the convenience of keeping rods rigged all the time.
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com

I bought one from Cabelas a few years ago. I don't remember the brand name, but I can look later on.

It has the rubber around the magnets to keep it from scratching the paint. Have never had an issue with scratches or it coming off while driving. However, I don't drive to and from the river with it on. Only from one fishing location to another during the day. But, I have driven above 55mph without any issues.

I love it. The convenience, especially if you have a long rod (I use it for my two handers) is worth every penny. Cannot recommend enough.

ill mainly be using it for hole hopping when im steelhead fishing. also just to run down to the river right here in town. my other thought was if i need to travel a longer distance or at higher speeds i could mount it in the bed of my truck with the rods facing out the back.

Have used the Tight Lines product for over a year now and have had good success. I did buy the suction model, but that opens another whole discussion. Spey Pages has had some good discussions with regard to magnet vs. suction. Both types seem to do a good job.
    Terry

Default Vac Rack

I have used a couple different ones and I miss my Vac Rack
    TONY MO
    Please protect our wild resources,
    Practice Catch and Release..
    http://anadromousfly.blogspot.com

We carry the Tight Line rod racks at Kiene's Fly Shop and on our online Spey store.

http://speyshop.kiene.com/tightlinee...rrodracks.aspx
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........