Thread: Upper McCloud: Kayak and Fly Fish

Default Upper McCloud: Kayak and Fly Fish

A local longtime friend, his son and I recently paddled the Upper McCloud below Fowler's Camp in inflatable kayaks. The river passes through Wyntoon, part of the Hearst Estate and down to McCloud Reservoir. While the fishing was fair, we caught mostly smallish Rainbows, the place is stunningly beautiful.

For whitewater enthusiasts the river is not too difficult, Class III. Do be warned however that recently two trees have fallen across the river, one at perhaps the most dangerous spot possible, just below Big Springs at the very end of the most challenging whitewater.

For more details, there is a blog post and several photos available from the ShastaTrout website. Feel free to drop a line if you are considering this trip, happy to share all I can.
    Craig Nielsen

Criag,

Now that sounds like a good time! What is even more amazing is that you had fun in the kayaks without artificial pulse flows. Thanks for all your reports and all that you do up there for the anglers and rivers. If you see Alan tell him I said "Hi".

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Take a look at the photos on Craig's site......"The river passes through Wyntoon"

This is the private Hearst property on the Upper McCloud River.

Our friend and guide Ron Hart is a top carpenter too and has been working on the property for years.

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/558116133JeCsIH
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Looks like a fun trip. Do you think it can be done with pontoon boats? Water looked a little tight and some decent drop offs for a pontoon. Looks better suited for Yaks but I thought I would ask.

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Default Pontoons on Upper McCloud

Jet:

I am quite certain folks have taken pontoons down the McCloud though I do not know anyone who has done so and have never seen one at the put in. I do know folks who have run it in small rafts, though it was done during spring run off when the water is higher.

You are correct that it would take an extraordinary effort to drag pontoon boats at current flows down the first stretch to Big Springs, not a particular joy with an IK, as I am still rubbing a raised shin bone a week after.

Until the tree strainers are gone the whitewater is also VERY dangerous, class III rapids but class V consequences. Portaging would be challenging, as the hillside is steep with dense foliage. Part of my post was to alert others of these new risks on a magnificent river that is otherwise considered relatively tame.
    Craig Nielsen

If anyone is running this and is using directions from any of the kayaking sites for put in be aware that many people put in above the falls in order to run them. I'm assuming Craig put in below or portaged.

Default Upper McCloud "Kayak Put In" site

Aaron:
    Thanks for the clarification. I certainly do not recommend running the falls as part of a fishing trip. Downstream, past the Lower Fowler's Falls picnic area there are Forest Service signs leading to the "Kayak Put In" which has a parking area and a trail leading down a steep hill to the river. There are a couple of pictures with Stan and Storm at the "Kayak Put In" that can be viewed from the ShastaTrout.com website for those that are interested.
    Craig Nielsen

Default an historical note on sweepers on the McCloud

[QUOTE=....two trees have fallen across the river, one at perhaps the most dangerous spot possible, just below Big Springs at the very end of the most challenging whitewater.

Craig---Interesting...

I remember in the late'70's or early 80's when I fly fished with my bro-in-law from Weed (locally known as 'Doc" Stensaas of COS) and there was a long sweeper across the river below Fowlers and the "Dolly Hole" (at the island; dog-leg right looking downstream). It had been used by local anglers for years as a bridge-access to the south-side of the river and the dirt road above Big Springs (when the old shack was still there).

Well, it was cut by a commericial whitewater company from Redding because they didn't want to portage around it; to the dismay of local anglers . From that period on the Hearst put-up the green gates and made it very difficult for wading anglers to get to Big Springs. That place is a cathederal.

Frank Pisciotta

Possibly I'll put this subject (whitewater fans & anglers) on my blog...[url]www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com[/url]