Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Albright Products

Default what about Fisher

As long as we're strolling down memory lane, whatever happened to J. Kennedy Fisher. I have an old 5 weight Presidential that I still take out every so often.

Default Fisher

I still have 8 Fishers, Great rods. I have a 9-10 wt that can lift a small car. If you every want to get rid of it. Just email me.

Lance Gray
    530-517-2204
    http://lancegrayandcompany.com

Smile Back to Albright

So I truly appreciate everyone's response to the original question; I feel I have definitely learned some history which helps me understand more. So, would you all say Albright is a decent, low priced product or is it junk? I prefer buying American made with the quality it comes with but it's difficult to justify $400 to $800 rods to the wife and why it's important versus an inexpensive rod. Any help is appreciated.

I've cast a few and own one. For the money, good stuff. Here's the rub-- I can't help thinking about the thread about the Reno Fly Shop closing when I read this. Buy a Reddington or TFO from Bill, and keep the revenue with the local merchant who supports the community.

Thanks for the chance to add my 2 cents .

Steve

Bought the GP 7/8 and 9/10 reels as back up reels because of the huge sale. Well upon one look at the product I had to ship it right back to Albright. Customer service was good, although I am out the 18 dollars for shipping and the 10 to ship it back. The GP reels have a very plastic and cheap, look and feel. This is at the low end of the spectrum of Albright products and I here they do make some very nice reels and rods. I am now going with American made Galvan for my next reels. Much more expensive but you can't take it with you.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by bclem81 View Post
    So here is the skinny on SAGE, REDINGTON, ALBRIGHT RODS. Sage was founded in 1980 by legendary rod designer Don Green, and Bruce Kirschner (formerly of K2 Skis). Redington was founded in 1992 by Jim Murphy, this company was known as Bristol Bay rod and fly rod before it became Redington. In the summer of 2003 Sage bought Redington and immediatly fired Jim Murphy. Then Jim Murphy had a plan up his sleeve and Albright Rods was founded in the Sept of 2004. Funny thing is that the same company that Jim Murphy had for making his Redington blanks is now making his albright rod blanks. Same Design too. When Albright first started the Albright EXS was the same rod as the Redington NTIQ (NTI Quarts) this was in 2004/2005, except that the EXS was cosmetically better looking, and less expensive.

One more thing Sage owns Redington, but the blanks are completely different, Sage blanks are made Bainbridge WA, and Redington rods are made in China, also fyi Redington reels are made in Korea. Albright rods and reels are the same as Redington, rods in china reels in korea.
    I missed this thread the first go-around....

I really like the first generation Redington Nti rods that were introduced on or around the year 2K. For pure distance, I still feel the #7 Nti that I owned was the best casting rod I've ever casted.... unfortunately, these rods broke at an incredible rate and I surmise that the ratio of resin and fiber was a formula that was great for weight and power, but not so good for hoop strength.

Anyway, I read that the Albright EXS is the NtiQ..... I have to assume that the NtiQ fared better with regards to breakage but I have no idea how they compared to the Nti.

Anybody have any thoughts.... I suspect that the EXS is only available second hand now.

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    Bought the GP 7/8 and 9/10 reels as back up reels because of the huge sale. Well upon one look at the product I had to ship it right back to Albright. Customer service was good, although I am out the 18 dollars for shipping and the 10 to ship it back. The GP reels have a very plastic and cheap, look and feel. This is at the low end of the spectrum of Albright products and I here they do make some very nice reels and rods. I am now going with American made Galvan for my next reels. Much more expensive but you can't take it with you.
    I have (3) 5/6 reels and they have worked great so far and I fish alot, on average 2 times a week in the winter and 3 times a week the rest of the year. To give an opinion without even using the product is not fair to the manufacturer. Just because Galvan costs alot more does not necessarily make it better.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I do not recommend Albright rods solely based on their customer service and lack of desire to stand behind their products. I was told by Michael Kahn (the new owner) that the EXS rod has a tendency to break due to a light weight thin wall design. I was told by the company to longer fish the rod and to upgrade. They had no interest in trying to make me a satisfied customer or compensate me for selling a poorly designed product.

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    Ok so I now take back what I said about there good customer service, been three weeks now that they have had there reels back and no refund. Have talked to them three times. (Once a week) They just give me the run around and no refund. I am out $18 for shipping the $10 to send it back and still no refund on the reels. Never again, never again.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Sounds like a new owner has taken over the business and is driving it into the ground. When I bought an extra spool and then a month later decided I would rather have another whole reel they sent me the reel for nothing. And I have only bought 2 reels prior to that from then. Bummer, they use to be good people.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>