Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Albright Products

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene View Post
    Real cool scam is to price really cheap stuff at high prices then offer the public 50% off as a base price. That has been fooling the fly fishing public for years now.

There is a company WAY WORSE than Albright. There was a company in Northern california that were MASTER ROD BUILDERS. When a River runs through it this company was asked to provide graphite rods that looked like bamboo so Brad Pit could be able to cast these rods.

This company was a first class, super high quality rod company. The company? Powell Rod Company out of CHico. Whether Charles Schwab gained the company legitimitely or not, you can read the Chico News and Review and Powell and decide for yourself.

But my point is Powell rods were made by the Powell master rod builders in their shop in Chico California. They sold the company to Charles Schwab (and the whole Powell family VEHEMENTLY says he scammed them).

NEW Powell (no longer owned by the Powell's) did two things
    1) they explicitly and very energeticly advertised that they would be selling these $600 (or whatever Powell USA sold them at retail) and would sell direct at about half price (the price they would be selling them to fly shops.

Sounds good for the customer, right? Well the accidentally forgot to mention that the rods would no longer be made in the US, specifically Northern California, they would be made in CHINA

So customers think they are buying a $600 US MADE rod for $300, but in actuality they are paying $300 for a $250 Chinese made rod (look at Tfo, South Korea, and Echo, China)

Furthermore, they continued the warranty price of a US made rod. It costs approximately $70. TFO, from south korea which is more expensive that China, is only $25. Plus, High end US MADE rods, such as Sage, are only about $50. So they continue to act like the rods are made by master builders in the US (as they were under the powells), including warranty, and instead of having a warranty cost of that around rods built in China, they cost MORE than high end rods (Sage) made in the US!!

Plus, people with Powell rods that are a couple of years old and have been discontinued, when they send in their rod with a broken tip, Powell doesnt have the materials to fix them so they offer to send a new current rod at over $100.

Press Powell and EC Powell

If there was ever any doubt this was Steve Sullivan ^^^

I have a couple of models of Albright rods and really like them. I have a couple of Redington rods and really like them too. Some great, reasonably priced rods sold under both brands in my opinion.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Imported fly rods are running from about $100 to $300 and are a great value.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Wow, this is all very interesting to read. I always try to buy U.S. made products. I own 3 Redington rods (actually thought they were made in the U.S.) and really like them. Sure I would love to own a Sage rod, but I paid less for the 3 rods I own than I would have paid for 1 Sage rod. I really can't justify spending that much for a rod that quite honestly probably won't get me any more fish on the end of my line. I'm sure they would be more enjoyable to cast. Since we're discussing, are there any lower priced rods that are made in the U.S. that someone would recommend?

Dan

Default oregonsteel

I worked for Powell in the hay day. I was there to see the rods shipped to Presidents, Senetors, Rock and Country Stars, Movie Stars and more. The rods were and still are perfect. I own many of them and I mean many. I love them. My problem is if they break I can not replace them. They are more to look at and occasional fish.

There are rod companies out there that have the same pride in workmanship as EC, Walt and Press did. In fact Gene Powell a true EC Powell by name is still buiding bamboo rods in Oroville. Look at Sage, Scott, Winston, Great Bay Rod Company and others..... The craftsmanship is still out there you just have to look.

Lance Gray
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Lance - I did not know you worked for the Powells...very cool. We should get together and compare notes on our Powell collections...I'm approaching 40 classic Powell rods myself.

If anyone is looking for good quality workmanship in a wide range of rods talk to Jim Clarkson at Raptor Rod Works in Chico. He built rods in the Powell shop for 10 years. He'll build you anything from a Light Touch clone graphite for $300 up to a Preidential model bamboo for $2,500. I own some and routinely give his rods as gifts. My Dad and my best friend both currently fish with Raptor Rod Works products. And if you do break an old Powell - call Jim as he does have a small stock of original Powell blanks..bamboo and graphite. And Jim will reasonably stand behind his work. If you snap the tip off your rod in a car door, he's not going to give you a new rod like some of these big companies...but he'll get your rod back to brand new shape for very little cost. As a matter of fact Press Powell felt the unconditional replacement guarantee was a terrible idea and really hurt the fly rod industry.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Default Powell

Rich,

I worked for Press and Walt. For about 5 years. Jim Clarkson and I are old friends. Clarkson old shop was next to my manufacture company Saltwater Innovations. I am in the 80 Powell rods, But do not tell my wife. I have EC Powell Rods, Buddy Powell Rods, Walt's Rods and Press's Rods. That is the reason I was looking to purshase or trade for the rods that you had for sale.

In fact this year I received the Press Powell Lifetime Achivement Award from the Chico Area Flyfishers. It was a great honor.

They are great rods.

Lance
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by bclem81 View Post
    So here is the skinny on SAGE, REDINGTON, ALBRIGHT RODS. Sage was founded in 1980 by legendary rod designer Don Green, and Bruce Kirschner (formerly of K2 Skis). Redington was founded in 1992 by Jim Murphy, this company was known as Bristol Bay rod and fly rod before it became Redington. In the summer of 2003 Sage bought Redington and immediatly fired Jim Murphy. Then Jim Murphy had a plan up his sleeve and Albright Rods was founded in the Sept of 2004. Funny thing is that the same company that Jim Murphy had for making his Redington blanks is now making his albright rod blanks. Same Design too. When Albright first started the Albright EXS was the same rod as the Redington NTIQ (NTI Quarts) this was in 2004/2005, except that the EXS was cosmetically better looking, and less expensive.

One more thing Sage owns Redington, but the blanks are completely different, Sage blanks are made Bainbridge WA, and Redington rods are made in China, also fyi Redington reels are made in Korea. Albright rods and reels are the same as Redington, rods in china reels in korea.
    Jim Murphy no longer has anything to do with Albright either. He is now the distibutor for Hardy usa. Sage has done alot of tweaking to the redington rods and I dont think they are anything like the rods were when Jim Murphy owned the company. Also Sage,Redington and Rio are owned by Farbank and are operated as separate companies.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    If there was ever any doubt this was Steve Sullivan ^^^
    No doubt its Steve. just dont get him on a rant about waders.