Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Albright Products

Default Albright Products

Anyone ever use or have any experience with an albright rod or reel? If so what's the verdict? It's my understanding the guy that started the Company is the same that started Reddington.

Hello,

I bought an albright 3 wt last year, and so far... its still in good shape. they also had a reel called the "bugati" which I think is really good for the price they go for. If you plan to buy albright, wait till the end of the year.. they will sell all their 2010 stuff for dirt cheap.

I have two of the GP series rods. 7'-6" in a 3/4 wt and an 8' for 5/6 wt. Great sticks for the $44 each delivered). I bought them for the grandsons, but find myself using them.
    A-5 was highly regarded in a 5-wt. shootout at www.Yellowstoneangler.com
    Bugatti reel in a 3-4 is ok, worth what I paid ($30 w/ xtra spool on sale). I've heard their better reel is good.
    Robert

Default Albright products

I bought a spey rod and reel from them last Fall during the sale. I like it but honestly do not have many other data points to compare it and have used it infrequently. They seem hard to beat for the price and cast very well. It got me started spey fishing without having to drop a grand to do so.

My $0.02

Ffdoc
    "I am haunted by the waters"

Looks like Albright is having a sale of up to 70% off. Does this sound like a deal?

Talking Albright

Bought an Albright 9ft. 6wt. SW a couple years ago with cloth and case for 169.00. Great back up rod
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

wait till the end of the year for their closeout sales. ITS ALOT BETTER than the 70% sale.

So here is the skinny on SAGE, REDINGTON, ALBRIGHT RODS. Sage was founded in 1980 by legendary rod designer Don Green, and Bruce Kirschner (formerly of K2 Skis). Redington was founded in 1992 by Jim Murphy, this company was known as Bristol Bay rod and fly rod before it became Redington. In the summer of 2003 Sage bought Redington and immediatly fired Jim Murphy. Then Jim Murphy had a plan up his sleeve and Albright Rods was founded in the Sept of 2004. Funny thing is that the same company that Jim Murphy had for making his Redington blanks is now making his albright rod blanks. Same Design too. When Albright first started the Albright EXS was the same rod as the Redington NTIQ (NTI Quarts) this was in 2004/2005, except that the EXS was cosmetically better looking, and less expensive.

One more thing Sage owns Redington, but the blanks are completely different, Sage blanks are made Bainbridge WA, and Redington rods are made in China, also fyi Redington reels are made in Korea. Albright rods and reels are the same as Redington, rods in china reels in korea.

Good reporting Brian

Not to many people know the whole story.

In the middle of all that Jim Murphy sold Redington to Orvis for a while too. That's how Orvis got it's overseas start too.

Real cool scam is to price really cheap stuff at high prices then offer the public 50% off as a base price. That has been fooling the fly fishing public for years now.

Most of the big companies like Orvis, LL Bean, Cabelas and Bass Pro have a "cost of goods sold" of about 20% max. That way they can sell you an overseas product and when it fails they can send you another one no charge. After a while smarter people get tired of the high failure rate and move to better products.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

That is why Orvis and Redington now have the same drag system and look at lot alike. Look at the mid arbor battenkill and the Rise drag system. they are the exact same. U can actually put the II or III battenkill mid arbor spool on the 5/6 Redington Rise reel, or visa versa. Dont remember which way it was, but quit funny.