Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hiking and fishing solo in the Sierra

Camping without a fire? No way, I find that it enhances the visual effect on the environment (especially after a few sips off the flask). On a serious note the one time I don't bring booze is when it's very cold out. It can make you feel warmer than you really are, thins your blood and and can lead to hypothermia or dehydration. But that's just me. By the way, I like to bring weapons also.

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    It is a precaution for a solo backpacker:

causes headaches, nausea, especially after long day of hiking/fishing, you might not feel it at the moment, but the next morning can be miserable.
    dulls sensory acuity - increases the chances for a mis-step/fall.

BTW - I forgot another precaution - no campfires (often prohibited anyways).

Alot of people might disagree with that one as well, but the danger (and to lessor extent, visual effect on the environment), are obvious. I just don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by colfaxtroutman View Post
    Camping without a fire? No way, I find that it enhances the visual effect on the environment (especially after a few sips off the flask). On a serious note the one time I don't bring booze is when it's very cold out. It can make you feel warmer than you really are, thins your blood and and can lead to hypothermia or dehydration. But that's just me. By the way, I like to bring weapons also.
    partially correct on the additional effect of booze, but that would apply any time, not just when it's "very cold". incorrect about everything else; especially campfires - which, as I indicated earlier, are seasonally prohibited based on conditions (like now). So is using bait in many streams.

OP asked about safety when camping alone. Not making an open fire, and avoiding booze are such safety precautions.

no weapons, no booze and no fire...WTF...I always have my nice little glock with me...i certainly feel free to have a drink...I am a big boy I can handle it, and if i have a campfire permit...i enjoy sitting by the fire.

Pretty hard to get hypothermia when it's 90 out While I feel perfectly safe under any of the conditions I mentioned, you're right... a lot of people should probably avoid these things. But then again a lot of people shouldn't be camping by themselves either. For that matter a lot of people shouldn't even be walking around water by themselves. I'm just having fun with you anyways so don't let me ruffle your feathers. Sorry for taking the post off track.

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    partially correct on the additional effect of booze, but that would apply any time, not just when it's "very cold". incorrect about everything else; especially campfires - which, as I indicated earlier, are seasonally prohibited based on conditions (like now). So is using bait in many streams.

OP asked about safety when camping alone. Not making an open fire, and avoiding booze are such safety precautions.

Regarding the campfire permit, something I just learned this year is that if you go to the Sequoia National Forest website address (below) you can take a very simple test (same one you take at the ranger station) and get a permit online. Very cool if you’re like me and don’t live near a ranger station.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/pass...ire-index.html

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    no weapons, no booze and no fire...WTF...I always have my nice little glock with me...i certainly feel free to have a drink...I am a big boy I can handle it, and if i have a campfire permit...i enjoy sitting by the fire.

As for the adult beverages, You stick several beers into your buddys pack when he isn't looking. Then when you get to your destination ask him if he wants a beer. He'll likely say " You packed beers up here" Then you answer "No but you did" It works everytime. Test to get a campfire permit ? I've never had to take a test in the past. Is that new this year ? Or is that just certain national forests ? Some national forest do not allow campfires this time of year in undeveloped camping sites. Toiyabe I beleive is like that right now.

No booze, no guns, no fire... NO FUN! Anybody that can't handle any of these shouldn't be camping in the first place.

For Tahoe National Forest the "test" is really just the ranger asking you a couple of questions (the answers are on the permit). Basic stuff like, do you need to have a shovel if you have a fire? You are correct about the no fire during certain times of year. I don't know of anyplace that you can have a fire in an unimproved campground around where I like to camp right now?

Quote Originally Posted by troutbm View Post
    As for the adult beverages, You stick several beers into your buddys pack when he isn't looking. Then when you get to your destination ask him if he wants a beer. He'll likely say " You packed beers up here" Then you answer "No but you did" It works everytime. Test to get a campfire permit ? I've never had to take a test in the past. Is that new this year ? Or is that just certain national forests ? Some national forest do not allow campfires this time of year in undeveloped camping sites. Toiyabe I beleive is like that right now.

One of my favorite spots (a little far afield from Sacramento) is the 20 lakes basin. It's just north of Saddlebag lake off Tioga Pass Road. You can take a motorboat shuttle across Saddlebag, and when you step off the dock you're in the wilderness area...

Smile

To Woodman... any place in CA worth a visit is not THAT far from Sacramento!

As far as the the other stuff... Huntindog summed it up pretty well.

Camping is something everyone should experience as much as possible.
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com