Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hiking and fishing solo in the Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Exactly. amoeba what is your reasoning for no booze?
    It is a precaution for a solo backpacker:

causes headaches, nausea, especially after long day of hiking/fishing, you might not feel it at the moment, but the next morning can be miserable.
    dulls sensory acuity - increases the chances for a mis-step/fall.

BTW - I forgot another precaution - no campfires (often prohibited anyways).

Alot of people might disagree with that one as well, but the danger (and to lessor extent, visual effect on the environment), are obvious. I just don't do it.

Why no weapons?

And don't forget the rhyme that tells you which color of snake is a coral.

Red and black your a lucky jack
    Red and yellow your a dead fellow.

I think that is correct, if I am wrong please someone tell me so I do not pick up the wrong snake.
    this is correct

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    EPMT

PRECAUTIONS:
    no booze
    sleep in a tent.
    I ALWAYS bring adult beverages and make certain not to carry any extra weight back out. One of the great back country pleasures (for me) is to sleep under the stars. I'll often carry some kind of shelter, mostly for mosquitoes, but VERY RARELY even take it out of the pack. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    And don't forget the rhyme that tells you which color of snake is a coral.

Red and black your a lucky jack
    Red and yellow your a dead fellow.

I think that is correct, if I am wrong please someone tell me so I do not pick up the wrong snake.
    We don't have coral snakes in california so it dosen't matter.

Okay esummers, here's some of my real life safety tips for soloing in the Sierras.

Don't fall off of any cliffs.

Don't bang your head on the rocks.

Don't cut yourself with your knife.

Don't tug on Superman's cape.

Don't spit in the wind.

Don't pull the mask off the Lone Ranger.

And don't mess around with Jim.

I think you have about all you need now.

Your welcome.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

You guys have been awesome. Thanks for all the advice, humor, wisecracks!, snakebite rules of engagement, book recommendations etc. etc. etc.

I haven't made the decision on my first overnight, but I'm thinking about some of the feeder streams to the the NF of the Yuba up in the Downieville\Sierra City\Gold Lakes area. Also, what about the upper Truckee for an overnight - I believe they're some cutthroats up there?

Also, thanks for the book recommendations. I have Fly Fishing the Tahoe Region by Stephen Rider Haggard. It seems to be a very through critique of the area. I need to score some of those hiking specific books mentioned earlier in this thread.

Anyway, thanks again gentlemen. Can't wait to get out there!

Eric

Default Thanks Ralph

Oh yeah, thanks Ralph for the Meeks Bay recommendation. That sounds like really solid advice and sounds like a perfect place to pop my cherry. I like the idea of being able to get out any problems that might arise in short order (at least for my fisrt trip). Just setting up on a lake for a couple of days fits the bill.

Dumb question (but that won't stop me): Will dry flies be sufficient on those lakes or will I need to nymph or add a sinking line? Any streams in that neck of the woods?

Thanks

Dry flies will work, but your options will certainly be limited. I'd bring some nymphs and streamers for sure. There is a creek that connects the lakes and it can be very good. I'm not normally one to name destinations, but these waters are very popular and no beans are being spilled. You WILL have company. That said, 95% of the anglers are soaking Power Bait on 12 lb test and a half decent fly guy will fish circles around them.

A caution: I am currently writing a book about industrial pot grows (multi-thousand plant operations) on public lands. In the process have been doing ride alongs on overflights and personally I would suggest keeping your radar in high gear if you are hiking very far into the feeder creeks of the Yuba. This is an extremely active area. Keep your nose to the ground and don't stray far from the creeks themselves and you'll be fine. The growers are experts at minding their own business - just don't make their business more difficult by following plastic pipes or wandering far from the creeks.

Default PM Sent

esum...sent you a pm.